• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The first ten games

tonykellowfan

Luton have lost one of their most important players: Vassel has gone to Birmingham.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Orient were in the play off positions this time last year IIRC

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's no point looking at the table with any intent until at least Christmas, imo. Year on year teams will be flying high/battling relegation at Christmas and in a completely different position come May. It's a good start, and would be nice to be top after 10 games played, but all it takes is one or two injuries or bad games to upset the balance of the team and we're on a massive losing streak.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Someone was saying Peter Fox got off to a good start, but not sure it lasted 10 games.
August 1999 - top of the league, flying. Foxy got MOTM.

Then the wheels came off big time - by the time he resigned just after Christmas we were down around the bottom.

Terryhall

If you'd told me at the start of the season we'd have 18 points from our first 10 games, I'd have snapped your hand off. That doesn't mean I'd be happy for us to lose the next 4 games of course, but in context it just shows what a fantastic start we have made this season.

I think a lot of credit has to go to the manager who has handled the (probably expected) departure of two key attacking players very well and has clearly done a great job of keeping momentum and morale in the squad high after a disappointing end at Wembley last time out. Unbeaten after 6 games and the top scorer in the entire EFL up front (I don't think anyone has more than Reid's 6 goals this term but happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.)

My statistical mind always sees 1.8 points per game as the threshold where you'll be around automatic promotion at the end of the year. Right now we are on 2.67 points per game - from a statto perspective it is of course too early to tell but very encouraging that we are well ahead of the curve in terms of where we want to aim to finish next May. Long may it continue!

IndoMike

It's a good start. Every point we can get early in the season is a promotion point in the bag. Sooner or later we will lose a game, so lets hope it will be a blip and not halt our momentum. With the squad we have and with pretty good cover in most positions I think we can be optimistic of a good outcome this season.

haka

I've had a quick look at the records and I can't find a better points haul from the first six games. The ones mentioned (87, 99) were good, but not as good.

It seems to be ECFC's best start in the era of 3 points for a win. I'll let somebody else go back through the black and white archives before that ...

haka

OK, now I think we can call it our best start in Football League history. Sad statto, happy statto ...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Altogether now then let's hear it......another record for 'Tis.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We have collected 84 points from our last 46 regular league matches.

If we can hold it together for next two matches and Notts county keep going that could be some encounter in a couple of weeks.

Think we didn't make it to 19 points last season until Orient away, which was late November!

Last edited: