• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Echo is failing us

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Proper journalism. I note Stuart James is one of the main footy reporters for The Guardian now, well deserved.
Different Stuart James, I believe - well the profile pic on the Grauniad's website certainly ain't that of our Stuart.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have you seen the new Monday edition? I only ask coz I've been a big critic of the Echo at times, but, IMO, it's 50p well spent.

It's nothing like Thursday's paper. Rather, it's bright, contemporary and extremely easy on the eye.

What's more, bringing this thread back on topic, player ratings have returned – mindful of the opening post, it might not seem a big thing. However, given they were, I believe, dropped at the behest of a former editor after prompting some disquiet in the corridors of power at SJP, it is at least a step in the direction many are advocating.

View attachment 646
It was indeed the Monday version Eggster and I do agree with you that it is decent value at 50p.

hardi2b

Would there be an on- line version for those of us not in the uk?

Alistair20000

Would there be an on- line version for those of us not in the uk?
I think you can follow it on facepalm or tw*tter and/or try www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/news

hardi2b

Thank you Alistair for the link tried it looks like the usual E&E website just been trying to see or hear what Tis had to say on the Derby defeat

butch

He might lurk Jeffers.
Larkins the Lurker B-)

Colesman Ballz

E&E have a lot more to lose than the Western Morning News if they were to pee off the club. The club block the E&E from getting any stories/comments from within the club, then that's their entire professional football section gone, along with all of the people who buy it for that reason. WMN on the other hand would still have our much less appealing, but still reasonably supported neighbours to report on. Can't really blame them for not wanting to take the risk personally.

That said, I would love to see some more media coverage on slightly uncomfortable questions directed at the club...

Have to disagree with you Pete. The Club relationship with the E & E is more mutually dependent than one might initially think. This is because of the exposure that it gives the Clubs major sponsors. I believe for example, that certainly in the past at least, the club provided statistical information of coverage to Flybe. When the Echo cut production from six issues a week to one, this reduced the publicity dramatically. The decimation of the editorial staff did result in Club press releases being swallowed whole with little or no editorial input. This has now improved with reintroduction of a Monday edition, but I dont see that even the Club Board would fail to realise that commercially, they NEED as much coverage as they can get, and then some !

ALOTBSOL

Have to disagree with you Pete.
Who's Pete? :p

And yes, granted, that is a good point.