• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Echo is failing us

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
The E&E printed a series of 'articles' directly from posts on exeweb and were roundly ridiculed for it. You can't have it both ways.
I understand Simon Larkins is a member of Exeweb and clearly has access to this thread. If he fails to contribute or respond then I believe you can the draw an adequate conclusion....

geoffwp

I understand Simon Larkins is a member of Exeweb and clearly has access to this thread. If he fails to contribute or respond then I believe you can the draw an adequate conclusion....
Which might very well be that he didn't read it!

malcolms

Which might very well be that he didn't read it!
Yep, sure Geoff, he's a member of Exeweb and posts, yet he's going to miss a thread entitled "The Echo is failing us" :S

Last edited:

Bittners a Legend

The E&E printed a series of 'articles' directly from posts on exeweb and were roundly ridiculed for it. You can't have it both ways.
I think you are missing the point here, Rae. It's not about re-posting stuff from Exeweb but rather going to Tisdale, Perryman and Tagg and asking direct questions. I do have some sympathy for them though given that Tisdale is well known for his strops when asked questions he doesn't like (just see the strop after he was asked about the Oxford job last seen for example) but I don't really see how anybody, whether pro or anti Tisdale, can disagree with the content of the OP which is that the local press rarely if ever ask probing, difficult questions of the Tisdale, Perryman, Tagg triumverate.

geoffwp

Yep, sure Geoff, he's a member of Exeweb and posts, yet he's going to miss a thread entitled "The Echo is failing us" :S
Yes. He has made 21 posts in over 17 months and hasn't visited since last October. Not exactly a mass of activity. As I said, likey he hasn't even read the thread.

PeteUSA

Yes. He has made 21 posts in over 17 months and hasn't visited since last October. Not exactly a mass of activity. As I said, likey he hasn't even read the thread.
Geoff, When he first joined exeweb, Larkins was on here a lot, and he seemed like a nice bloke who we could rely on to relay our thoughts (in general) accurately. From hearing his voice on the E&E podcasts, its plainly evident that he's not very old, and was a bit wet behind the ears when he first got the job. I think its plainly evident that he reads exeweb thoroughly but doesnt sign in anymore, like a huge amount of other members. He reads exeweb alright.

ECFC Music

This has been touched on in other threads however in my opinion this is one of the biggest problems.

As we all know there are hundreds of questions to be answered...

Why are you playing him there?
Why do you keep persisting with Harley?
Do we scout players?
Where is the Grimes money?

I could go on…

What I want to know is why the local press aren't asking these questions? We can speculate and moan on here but it’s not going to get us anywhere, we need the people who can ask these questions to do just that. The Trust has been spoken about at length and faced a lot of criticism for not asking the right questions, so why do we not ask the same of the local press?

The Echo have a very good relationship with the club and I understand they don't want to lose access, however in my opinion they are hiding their head in the sand and failing their readership.
As the Lambert/Villa scenario showed, local press can have a big effect on job security, with the right pressure a manager can be forced out. Unfortunately it seems the Echo are part of the clique and seem incapable of asking the questions the fans want answered. Journalism is about finding the facts and reporting them to the masses, not pandering to a figurehead because you’re scared of the repercussions.
If the club were to remove access they would be committing a PR disaster which would be picked up by a far wider audience and give the impression that there is something to hide.

Simon Larkins is in a privileged position where he interviews Tisdale on a weekly basis, It's about time he got tough with him and other members of the club and started to ask the 'difficult' questions that we want to ask.
This has echoes of the situation with the Daily Telegraph whose former employee stated unfavourable stories were being witheld because of advertisers.Also the Guardian.However in those cases newspaper income is involved.

geoffwp

Geoff, When he first joined exeweb, Larkins was on here a lot, and he seemed like a nice bloke who we could rely on to relay our thoughts (in general) accurately. From hearing his voice on the E&E podcasts, its plainly evident that he's not very old, and was a bit wet behind the ears when he first got the job. I think its plainly evident that he reads exeweb thoroughly but doesnt sign in anymore, like a huge amount of other members. He reads exeweb alright.
Firstly 21 posts isn't 'a lot' pete. 11,382 is a lot. Secondly, and please correct me if I am wrong pete, but doesn't the term 'last visit' mean when someone has logged in even if they don't post? If so he doesn't really read exeweb very much at all. All the rest is pure conjecture.

Antony Moxey

Firstly 21 posts isn't 'a lot' pete. 11,382 is a lot. Secondly, and please correct me if I am wrong pete, but doesn't the term 'last visit' mean when someone has logged in even if they don't post? If so he doesn't really read exeweb very much at all. All the rest is pure conjecture.
No, it means they haven't logged on since their 'last visit', they may or may not have read every single word written on the site once then - you don't need to log in to read posts.

That aside I agree with Malcs - it's been a long time since the Echo had any sort of campaign worth following, they think it's a triumph getting the Christmas lights put up in the High Street. These days it holds about as much sway as the weekly free papers.

Alistair20000

He might lurk Jeffers.