• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The ashes thread

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Harmison will be picked for the second test, cos you know what he did to Ponting in 2005 first day of the first match!
Is anyone else going to any of the matches? - i'm just going on Sat 1st August - Edgebaston :D

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bell and Panesar are strangely included, but apparently will be no.'s 12 and 13. Good idea to keep to the team that played against the Windies as they are the ones best prepared for Test cricket this summer. First Test will be crucial. I am still expecting at least one previously unknown Aussie to step up to the plate in a big way, but if that doesn't happen, this series will be winnable. A good start would make such a difference...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Bit harsh about Johnson nothing wrong about his bowling action and he is a decent batter too, I think they will go with Lee, Siddle and Johnson. These seamers are led by former England's bowling coach Troy Cooley who made Steve Harmison into a world class bowler hence they shouldn't be underestimated
Sorry, but have a look. Maybe not every delivery, but there is clear extension of the arm when Johnson bowls (maybe only when he puts a bit "extra" in). I noticed this during the T20 against the Windies when he got a wicket - deffo a chuck.

Johnson's batting is very decent - he and Broad will match up well at 8.

On Hadding vs Prior, I wouldn't say Haddin was the superior bat, although this part of his game has come on well in the last couple of years.

MattyD

Looking forward to it. Got a ticket to day 5 at Cardiff so hopefully will get to see some action and a win. I think it's the test we're most likely to win because of the pitch.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently Brett Lee will miss the first two Tests with injury. Bit of a shame, that - his record against England would suggest we'd like him to play!

ECFC TOM

I still fear Brett Lee big time, good record against England or not, but he is an entertainer and a character so I hope he plays.

The Aussies will win 2-1 with Mike Hussey being the stand out batsman, and Siddle will also impress.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently Brett Lee will miss the first two Tests with injury. Bit of a shame, that - his record against England would suggest we'd like him to play!
I have just heard on Sky sports news - YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
No Brett Lee to begin with at least! Hope he stays out! :D

Yeovilgrecian

Off to Cardiff on Friday for day 3, weather forecast looks mighty dodgy might be doing some shopping in the City centre!

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
am only going to the first day of edgbaston this year - series might be over in all but name by then ...

Aussie Andy

I'm hoping history is not repeating itself here. But I'm sure it was 4 years ago when McGrath stood on a cricket ball and had to be rested, now its Lee.