• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The ashes thread

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today is the day we find out the first 11 for Cardiff on Wednesday.
I really really want swine flu or something cos i want to stay home from Wednesday ;)
I hope 2 spinners play cos they can hold up both ends of the pitch, Cardiff is mainly known for its spin.
I think that the Aussies will really miss Warnie cos he could win the game for them, now they have inexperienced spinners.
3 sleeps to go till the start :D

ECFC TOM

The England squad has been announced for the first Ashes test on Wednesday:

Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior, Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Jimmy Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ian Bell, Graham Onions.

I think it is the right decision to leave Harmison out.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two queston marks over the team picked.Can Ian Bell produce the goods in such a big match & is Flintoff ready for a recall?Can see Bell failing with the bat,not sure about Flintoff,depends what workload he is given if he's picked.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm slightly surprised how Ian Bell has made it into the squad and Steve Harmison has been left out, Bell has looked off the pace with the bat and that was clear in the warm up match, however Harmison has consistantly been taking wickets throughout the season for Durham and his haul in the warm up match should have put him back into contention. Also, Panesar in? What about Rashid? His strike rate with bat and bowl is superior to Monty's so surely he should be in the squad aswell?

Ashecfc

Today is the day we find out the first 11 for Cardiff on Wednesday.
I really really want swine flu or something cos i want to stay home from Wednesday ;)
I have 2 weeks off work due to surgery on my back, roll on the ashes :D

mammooman

Bell....Ian Fr1ggin Bell. Next you'll be telling me that we have a test outside of England itself.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone PLEASE explain to me how Bell has made his way back into the England squad?

If he actually makes the 11, I will not be listening/watching. :mad: :mad:

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have 2 weeks off work due to surgery on my back, roll on the ashes :D
Back luck mate with the surgery - hope you recover soon, i hate any surgery now and think i'm happy to watch it when i back in the evenings and weekends [y]
Hope England play well to make your back feel better!

Ashecfc

Back luck mate with the surgery - hope you recover soon, i hate any surgery now and think i'm happy to watch it when i back in the evenings and weekends [y]
Hope England play well to make your back feel better!
I thanks mate :)

The op went well and I am on some very good pain killers. Thankfully work are very understanding and have been very supportive.

England winning will be very good anethetic too [y]

ECFC TOM

Bell won't be in the starting XI. England have picked their main eleven players they want to select on Wednesday and have included an extra bowler, of which one will play depending on conditions (that will be either Onions or Panesar- most likely the former), and an extra batsman, Ian Bell. But then again that still doesn't why Bell is there again :S