• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ten years?

Bob

OK, so we need something for Exeweb to give the club by way of a birthday present (although I always thought you were given things at this point, not giving them to others).

How about we have a design competetion, most popular entry wins - the thing to be designed? Home and away cravats for the manager!

Bob

GrecianInWales

How about everybody chips in a bit to sponsor a game under the name of Exeweb's 10th birthday?

thats a good idea

Thames Valley Red

For the "newer" City fans, here's a bit of background, posted on Gnet, by Egg.

While others may differ, I agree wholeheartedly with Tony’s suggestion that ExeWeb was ‘a factor in our rise from the abyss’ – clearly, not the only factor but, certainly, a very significant one.

In the summer of 2003, a series of meetings took place at the Exeter Airport Business Park premises of Ian Huxham’s Potbury Signs. Those meetings were, IMHO, absolutely critical in securing Trust control of the club and, in turn, its very future.

I can’t pretend to speak for all those present, and readily admit my memory isn’t what it might be, but I’m fairly sure that some of the key players within that disparate group of people – think former directors Barry Sansom and Geoffrey Styles to name but two – were brought together by ExeWeb.

Certainly, Terry Pavey, who played a very significant role back then, would tell you his passion for the football club was reawakened by stumbling across ExeWeb while exiled in Kent. Moreover, I’m firmly of the opinion that Russell and Lewis might just have ‘got away with it’ were it not for the opposition to them which, to a large extent, grew out of the site.

In short, I think anyone with ‘a bit of Exeter City in their heart’ owes Steve a debt of gratitude – all the more so when you consider ExeWeb is a labour of love for which, it seems to me, he receives plenty of brickbats and nowhere near enough plaudits.

Good work fellah!

[ecfc]
The initial meetings of the Trust in 2001 were organized using Gnet and this site and without them the exiles would not have combined so well. The Gary Alexander Transfer Trust became the Exeter City Supporters Trust. The PM system on this site helped communicate with many of the first 100 members. When we had 279 members in the Trust, the split was around 65% exiled supporters of the club.

The Trust grew from the exiled fan base and only went mainstream in 2003 when the crisis hit.

UTC

TVR