• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ten years?

Bob

That is one of the great things about a site like this though, anyone being able to say pretty much anthing - of course it does mean most, if not all threads will end up going off topic.

A very boring place this would be if we all agreed on everything!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Thankyou to anyone and everyone who has made this my daily routine for the last what 4 years....

Cheers without the what was the last packet of crisps threads id have never got through some days.

Ian Sideman

That is one of the great things about a site like this though, anyone being able to misspell pretty much anthing -
QUOTE]

Well said that man!

Antony Moxey

And mis-quote too..

;)

Grecian2K

And what site on the WHOLE interned, apart from the mighty EW, could have so expeditiously resolved the problem of the skipping Fratelli's CD???

Yet ANOTHER feather in the magnificent ExeWeb cap - deny that if you will Mr Moxey!!! ;)

Antony Moxey

What's to deny?

Jean Jeannie

I'm all for celebrating milestones and a decade of Exeweb is certainly no exception.

Thanks Steve - if you go ahead with the sponsored shirts - i'd be happy to donate.

I'll drink to that [y]

ECFC TOM

Although i've only been signed on for 5 months (I was a lurker for a few months as well), I have thoroughly enjoyed both reading and posting on exeweb and long may this site continue. Cheers to all involved in making this website what it is.

Joshyd123

Been posting on here for about 14 months now, and lurking for about 18 months and must say I have become addicted to Exeweb over the course of time.

A big thanks to everyone involve in making this possible :D

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's a piece from the Echo about Steve's 'somewhat articulate dad'.

Tony’s a right royal favourite

WHAT is the connection between the Queen, the Sport of Kings and an award-winning Exeter City Football Club website?

Stumped? Okay then, let me tell you… it’s Tony Morris. Racing journalist Tony, 58, is one of Her Majesty’s favourite writers — she told him so herself — but besides being one of the country’s most-revered racing journalists, he’s also the father of twenty-five-year-old Stephen, the man responsible for the rather wonderful ExeWeb site.

Tony, too, is a lifelong fan of the Grecians. He can still recall his first visit to St James’s Park — a 0-0 draw with Colchester way back in 1955 — and is looking forward to travelling from his home in Newmarket, where he’s lived for the last 16 years, to stand on the terraces at the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge this afternoon.

But it’s in racing circles that Tony, who grew up in Heavitree, has made his name. Nowadays the Racing Post columnist — who graduated via the Press Association and the Sporting Life — is widely regarded as one of the world’s foremost authorities on thoroughbred breeding and can count the Queen among his legion of followers.

It was some seven or eight years ago that Tony first learnt that his work had the royal seal of approval.

“I was at the opening of the racehorse rehabilitation centre in Newmarket,” he told me, “when someone said ‘Morris, comb your hair — Lord Carnarvon is about to introduce you to the Queen’.”

Having exchanged pleasantries, he recalls how the Queen told him: “Some days your articles quite make my day, Mr Morris.”

“But only some days.”

Tony concedes he was flattered and more than a little amused by the monarch’s bank-handed compliment. But it shouldn’t have come as too much of a surprise — where Flat racing is concerned there are few better brains to pick.

With that in mind, when you ask Tony Morris what’s the best horse he has ever seen, it’s worth sitting up and taking note of his answer.

“Sea Bird,” he says unequivocally and tells me how he was fortunate enough to be at Epsom to see Etienne Pollet’s brilliant three-year-old win the 1965 Derby, with a performance which has remained etched in his memory ever since. Later that year Tony travelled to Longchamp to see his equine hero trounce what was widely regarded as the best field ever assembled for the Prix de l’arc de Triomphe, Europe’s premier middle-distance race.

He hasn’t been back to Paris for the Arc since — “I think I was very privileged to see him,” explains Tony. “Very privileged indeed. And I promised myself I would only go back if I thought there was a chance of seeing something comparable.”

Conversely, he hasn’t missed one of the English Classics since 1965. “I could have pneumonia but I’d still be there,” he tells me and I don’t doubt that he’s entirely serious.

Racing is Tony Morris’s passion. It’s why he gets out of bed in the mornings and, besides his friends and family, only one other thing comes close. And that’s Exeter City.

On Saturday, May 3, the Grecians entertain Southend in what might well be the club’s last game in the Football League. Regrettably, Tony can’t be there — the 2,000 Guineas is run at Newmarket on the same day. “For about a minute and 40 seconds I’ll be transfixed by the race,” he confesses, “but immediately afterwards all my thoughts will be with City.”

Last edited: