• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Orwient

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Orient are a different team, different style and require different style of play to beat. That is a fact.
No, that is just a pretty dumb ass opinion.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No, that is just a pretty dumb ass opinion.
I know you like to be contrary, but isn't it the case that you and Malcolms (to name two) have berated City in the past for having a small side that is unable to beat Tranmere's thugs because we can't adapt?

Every team we play has its own style, therefore the side we need to put out has to be the one that Tisdale considers the best possible to beat what is put in front of us. If the oppo play it on the deck from a creative midfielder through to two small forwards with pace Usain Bolt would like to have, would we play Big Lump 1 & 2 at the back? No, we'd play with a setup designed to combat their style of play - possibly involving a bruiser in the middle of the park to kick the creative midfielder if he even considered passing the ball.

Cat&Fiddle

Poultice

I know you like to be contrary, but isn't it the case that you and Malcolms (to name two) have berated City in the past for having a small side that is unable to beat Tranmere's thugs because we can't adapt?.
No, I don't knock a side for being small, but I do for getting bullied like a pack of girls.

If you wanna go back through the 8 million posts I have made you will find a number of themes running though them, I want pace, power, width and aggression and above all I want us to impose our game on the opposition, not ***** about worrying what they can do, apparently we did that to Tranmere, so why change a winning team, let's pull the Os all over the place like we did Tranny, let's make them worry about us.

Last edited:

Tesco Bean Can

Or tranmere who last won at the end of october??

Orient are a different team, different style and require different style of play to beat. That is a fact.
No, the fact is that had the like of Noble, Dunne, Sercombe,Nardiello etc had been fit thety would have played vs Tranny, just as they all played the previous 10 games, in the same positions on the pitch.

It's a false impression that Tis changes his tactics on a game by game basis to 'out think' the opposition. He just goes with the same old compact tactics with no width. He was forced into playing 4-4-2 against Tranny and now we'll see if he's too proud to admit that's a better way of playing than his usual pitty patty style of set up.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a false impression that Tis changes his tactics on a game by game basis to 'out think' the opposition. He just goes with the same old compact tactics with no width. He was forced into playing 4-4-2 against Tranny and now we'll see if he's too proud to admit that's a better way of playing than his usual pitty patty style of set up.
I don't think that's quite fair, he does do so from time to time, perhaps too often in recent seasons when we seemed to oscillate from a back 3 to a back 4 from game to game. He is also willing to change things around during the game (eg when 3-0 down at Oldham, or moving Taylor to LB at Bramall Lane) though of course it doesn't always work.

My concern is rather that he appears to pick the 10 outfield players he thinks are the best then arranges a formation around them (eg playing Troy in midfield at Wednesday, playing BJ at centre back), rather than having a preferred formation and recruiting / picking players that suit it, varying it of course against certain teams and during the game when circumstances dictate. IMO it is this that has led us to being very narrow most of the time, as his preferred players are mostly central midfield types.

That said, his record is not bad given the resources he has had at his disposal.

Odds that Hackett will play narrower at Orient and that Frear will be on the bench?

IndoMike

I know you like to be contrary, but isn't it the case that you and Malcolms (to name two) have berated City in the past for having a small side that is unable to beat Tranmere's thugs because we can't adapt?

Every team we play has its own style, therefore the side we need to put out has to be the one that Tisdale considers the best possible to beat what is put in front of us. If the oppo play it on the deck from a creative midfielder through to two small forwards with pace Usain Bolt would like to have, would we play Big Lump 1 & 2 at the back? No, we'd play with a setup designed to combat their style of play - possibly involving a bruiser in the middle of the park to kick the creative midfielder if he even considered passing the ball.
Just let the players play, instead of stifling them with pseudo tactics and mumbo jumbo.. Why worry about Orient? Let them worry about us. How do we know how they're gonna play anyway : is Tis psychic?

Grecian Max

Crunching challenge on the mercenary, please.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Crunching challenge on the mercenary, please.
I sincerely hope he is ignored by our fans rather than targeted for abuse. Don't want that backfiring on us again like our last trip to London. Better, wait till we take a 4-0 lead an do a 'Curo Curo What's the score?' chant

I am renowned for my 'political correctness' and I am now referring to the Orient as East Asia.