• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Orwient

Boyo

I would be very surprised if we stuck with the same team that beat Tranmere. Assuming Nards isn’t fully fit, I think Tis will go:

The pole
Tulls – Coles – TAH – Golborne
Dunne – Noble – Sercombe – Hackett
Logan – Taylor

I like the look of that. Particularly with the following bench:

Pidge, Duffy, Bennett, Frear, Nards

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just let the players play, instead of stifling them with pseudo tactics and mumbo jumbo.. Why worry about Orient? Let them worry about us. How do we know how they're gonna play anyway : is Tis psychic?
I suspect we might just have scouted their "style".

No doubt they'd have had someone at the Tranmere match too who noted that "Hang on, they don't play this short passing game any more, they lump it out wide to two wingers" and will plan accordingly.

You can still teach as long as you stay one lesson ahead of the student.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
Krysiak
Tully
Troy
Duffy
Golbourne

Dunne
Noble
Sercombe

Hackett
Bauza
Taylor

Nards is the only injury doubt apparently according to mr tis.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suspect we might just have scouted their "style".

No doubt they'd have had someone at the Tranmere match too who noted that "Hang on, they don't play this short passing game any more, they lump it out wide to two wingers" and will plan accordingly.

You can still teach as long as you stay one lesson ahead of the student.
But if you think Orient have sussed out our new wide winger stategy and will plan accordingly, thus making it a good idea for us to change, then logically you would expect Orient to change from their last game, too. But are teams really constantly changing their tactics every game to outwit their opponents? I doubt it. To be honest, at L1 level the players are just not good enough to do that, and neither are many of the managers/coaches.
The team selection and performance against Tranmere was an accident that worked out well, so why not try it again? It will put pressure on Dunne and Sercombe to start performing as they did last season, will be a nice little reminder to O'F and Noble, and will encourage Bennet and Frear. In fact, if City lost against Orient, I would still keep the same team for one more game.
Reward success, give the young inexperienced players some encouragement when they have done well, and don't fall back on the safe option all the time.
What we have lacked over the last three seasons is dynamism breaking out of defense. Russell, Stewart, even Noble to some extent, just slow(ed) everything down.

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed
He (Bennett) reminds me of that Jones player at Man United. Obviously can score a goal and has an engine and must be good with his feet. If he can score in his first few games, surely he could blossom some more and then we can use Duffy at right back. It also allows us to play wingers and use them to ping shots in for Nards to pounce on. It worked at Walsall and then have Logie to batter them in the last 30 minutes.

This protects both players and we can switch to 4-4-2 to go more attacking if required. We are away from home so we should try and tighten up the midfield.

UTC

TVR
I read this and it almost had me believing that you knew a thing about football. Nice work! I am feeling the typically over-optimistic urge to suggest we might win this game

Pobbop

But if you think Orient have sussed out our new wide winger stategy and will plan accordingly, thus making it a good idea for us to change, then logically you would expect Orient to change from their last game, too. But are teams really constantly changing their tactics every game to outwit their opponents? I doubt it. To be honest, at L1 level the players are just not good enough to do that, and neither are many of the managers/coaches.
The team selection and performance against Tranmere was an accident that worked out well, so why not try it again? It will put pressure on Dunne and Sercombe to start performing as they did last season, will be a nice little reminder to O'F and Noble, and will encourage Bennet and Frear. In fact, if City lost against Orient, I would still keep the same team for one more game.
Reward success, give the young inexperienced players some encouragement when they have done well, and don't fall back on the safe option all the time.
What we have lacked over the last three seasons is dynamism breaking out of defense. Russell, Stewart, even Noble to some extent, just slow(ed) everything down.
Hardly an accident, he could have easily kept to a similar formation and style, with Shepard, McNish & Keohane. He used a horses for courses, because Tranmere are a very physical side.

Boyo

Bennett did OK for us against Tranmere and took his goal really well, but anyone who thinks he'll do a better job in central midfield, than the likes of Dunne or Sercombe, really don't understand football.

IndoMike

Hardly an accident, he could have easily kept to a similar formation and style, with Shepard, McNish & Keohane. He used a horses for courses, because Tranmere are a very physical side.
Many teams in Div 1 are physical, but this was the first time in a long time we played two wingers (and Bennet in a midfield role). IMO Tis prefers the slow, technical build-up - to bring the ball gradually upfield with lots of passing. But if we lose the ball upfield-ish then we can get caught out. The beauty of the Tranmere game was that we had plenty of defenders to cover, yet we still scored three.

IndoMike

Bennett did OK for us against Tranmere and took his goal really well, but anyone who thinks he'll do a better job in central midfield, than the likes of Dunne or Sercombe, really don't understand football.
Well, if you really understand football I'd be interested to hear your predictions for City's next 5 matches..
Nobody said that Bennet could do a better job than Dunne or Sercombe, but somebody said that he might be given a try.

Pobbop

Many teams in Div 1 are physical, but this was the first time in a long time we played two wingers (and Bennet in a midfield role). IMO Tis prefers the slow, technical build-up - to bring the ball gradually upfield with lots of passing. But if we lose the ball upfield-ish then we can get caught out. The beauty of the Tranmere game was that we had plenty of defenders to cover, yet we still scored three.
Yes, Tis does prefer the slow build-up, not sure I said anything different. We haven't really had two wingers before, he brought in Hacket, so he wasn't actually forced into that. Bennett and Duffy were pushed into mid-field instead of others, I have mentioned, he clearly wanted a more physical approach for this game.

As I've said many times before, I also prefer the slow build-up, it's been rather successful for us. Yet I'm very happy we now have a plan B, but I hope it stays as that. Don't really want to become Dagenham, markII. Give the ball away too much in this Division and there are players that will hurt you in the oppo.

Last edited: