• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tagg's Trust AGM speech - 3 option

simcity

I've just had a look at prospective sites around the Science Park and super-imposed SJP on a site close to the A30 and M5 junction with some additional space for extra club & leisure facilities and potentially supporter parking. There's also a bus stop on the road that has a route running from St Davids through the City and out to here.

In my opinion that part of the City is only to become more developed in the next 5-10 years so could be a good area to move to.

Science Park.png

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
In short, funds raised were largely connected to the Kingsmeadow ground and a share issue.
  • AFC Wimbledon entered into a groundshare as tenants to Kingstonian whose ground it was.
  • Kingstonian went into admin and bankruptcy forcing the sale of the ground to a property developer who also took over Kingstonian.
  • AFC Wimbledon, to secure the future of the ground, raised £3m to buy the ground and offered a groundshare back to Kingstonian. The money was raised by selling a minority interest leaving Wimbledon supporters with a 77% shareholding of the Dons Trust.
  • AFC Wimbledon then sold the ground to Chelsea FC effectively making Kingstonian homeless.
Agree with most of this. although the last point requires a clarification, as it gives the impression of AFCW being "heartless" in relation to Kingstonian and its fans. Iirc I believe that AFCW gave/are giving, them a seven figure sum from the proceeds of the sale towards establishing a new ground.

Spoonz Red E

Agree with most of this. although the last point requires a clarification, as it gives the impression of AFCW being "heartless" in relation to Kingstonian and its fans. Iirc I believe that AFCW gave/are giving, them a seven figure sum from the proceeds of the sale towards establishing a new ground.
Fair comment.

I think a lot of Kingstonian fans were upset because the selling point of the AFC Wimbledon buy back was security for both AFCW and a 25 year tenancy arrangement for Kingstonian.

Agreed - AFCW haven't been blind to Kingstonian's misfortune and you could also argue that Chelsea could have been less brutal when negotiating the purchase.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I've just had a look at prospective sites around the Science Park and super-imposed SJP on a site close to the A30 and M5 junction with some additional space for extra club & leisure facilities and potentially supporter parking. There's also a bus stop on the road that has a route running from St Davids through the City and out to here.

In my opinion that part of the City is only to become more developed in the next 5-10 years so could be a good area to move to.

View attachment 1411
Fantastic place … All we have to do is get Devon turf ( I think it is) to sell their land and judging by how much they were offered for other side of the A30 and weren't interested good luck with that area.
They are probably waiting for both sites to be bought by someone who wants more business units to be granted and the price will sky rocket , no pun intended.

Red Devon

Fantastic place … All we have to do is get Devon turf ( I think it is) to sell their land and judging by how much they were offered for other side of the A30 and weren't interested good luck with that area.
They are probably waiting for both sites to be bought by someone who wants more business units to be granted and the price will sky rocket , no pun intended.

Would be amazing for away fans only about one minute from the motorway.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
And a waste for people who walk to the ground in the centre of town , The infrastructure out there is pants unless you own a car.

Colesman Ballz

Unless we were playing on the same afternoon as Chiefs of course ! Potential gridlock, although the same could be said of any site close to the Cat n Fiddle, as Chiefs use Westpoint for their park and ride service.

GJW

There’s some nice flat areas around Barnstaple and Bideford that would be ideal. Nice and cheap😉

WXF

Wakefield is now the biggest town in England without a professional football club.

Red Devon

And a waste for people who walk to the ground in the centre of town , The infrastructure out there is pants unless you own a car.

Would be a huge commercial opportunity for the club to build their own amenities and FanZone type facilities to attract and entertain supporters before and after the match though.