• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stevenage A.F.C. V's Exeter City A.F.C. Official Match Day Thread. 10/08/2019

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cmon city!!! Bloody hell I hope it ain’t last minute goals all season
I know what you mean but I like this late goal business!

Old Hampshire Hog

Welcome to Exeweb!
I agree it is pretty inexplicable. I spent most of last season pondering this very issue. I feel for Aaron and I rate him as a player, but to be honest I've spent enough time thinking about it now and I'm definitely not up for starting a chant about it. And let's not forget, we did keep a clean sheet again today so it's hard to question the defensive selections on this occasion.
Not sure you can put too much stock into what his family might be willing to share with a random fan at the ground either - they were hardly likely to say 'Aaron and Matt can't stand the sight of each other, but it's a 2 year contract so we're stuffed', even if that were the case.
Anyway, 6 points from 2 games, even if neither performance has been convincing, is a good start to the season!
Thank you for your response. That's fair enough. Perhaps we can see how the results go in the next few weeks. I agree, points are the most important thing and we're off to a good start.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, I thought we totally deserved that. Stevenage created nothing after the first 5 minutes and our passing and movement was so much better in the second half. We still didn't test the keeper enough but the goal come after we had been bombarding the box; several crosses had been scrambled clear before one finaly fell to Nicky Law whose shot was every bit as good as last week's was bad. The funky 3-5-2 combination worked in the end as it enabled Nicky Law to finally get on the ball much more and he looked as masterful as he did for most of last season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Welcome to Exeweb!
I agree it is pretty inexplicable. I spent most of last season pondering this very issue. I feel for Aaron and I rate him as a player, but to be honest I've spent enough time thinking about it now and I'm definitely not up for starting a chant about it. And let's not forget, we did keep a clean sheet again today so it's hard to question the defensive selections on this occasion.
Not sure you can put too much stock into what his family might be willing to share with a random fan at the ground either - they were hardly likely to say 'Aaron and Matt can't stand the sight of each other, but it's a 2 year contract so we're stuffed', even if that were the case.
Anyway, 6 points from 2 games, even if neither performance has been convincing, is a good start to the season!
Not inexplicable at all. I think Matt Taylor wants centre-halves who can play the ball out and sees that as a weakness in Aaron Martin's game. Today we tried to play with 3 at the back and the manager thought that Parkes was better suited to the sweeper role between Moxey and Sweeney; given how well Parkes played that looks like a good call.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone’s 100% record will have to go next Saturday. Swindon scoring but also conceding.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
You don't seem too chuffed about it Geoffrey.
Don't be an arse.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not inexplicable at all. I think Matt Taylor wants centre-halves who can play the ball out and sees that as a weakness in Aaron Martin's game. Today we tried to play with 3 at the back and the manager thought that Parkes was better suited to the sweeper role between Moxey and Sweeney; given how well Parkes played that looks like a good call.
Who played right back / right wing back today then ?

I thought we were playing with a back four with Sweeney, Parkes, Moxey and Woodman.

Banksy

How did Ajose perform today?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great win for City and excellent commentary by Alan Seabrook.

iscalad

So why did he sign him in the first place?