• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statue

Pobbop

No, but it has got me thinking who or what we could have if we ever were to erect one at SJP.
I’m thinking that we shouldn’t go for a specific person but rather a group of unidentified people who would symbolize the many people who came together 20 or so years ago and saved our club.
That concept for a statue would be a bit different and we all know that our club likes to be a bit different!
I'd go for Bastin, not enough young people, or even older people know about him, he was one of the most famous footballers in the World in the 30's, when country bumpkin Charlie Baker can say no-one famous has ever come from Exeter unchallenged, it's annoying.

I mean a group of people, not sure myself, I suppose supporters maybe interesting, but can't work out how that works.

Oh and Dave Whelan is pond-life.

Mid Devon Grecian

because of the title I thought this was going to be another Gary Caldwell thread....
@STURTZ will be campaigning for one of GC in the near future of that I’m certain 😬

Stelios

Statues are hard to get right. Great when done well but they can go wrong…..

IMG_0575.jpeg

Ted Bates at Southampton. It was replaced out of shame/embarrassment with a much better one

IMG_0576.jpeg

Stelios

If we’re struggling to think of someone/something suitable then that probably answers the question for us.

Al-Fayed’s Michael Jackson Fulham statue is probably available…….

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Statue?"

"No. Some other feller"

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, but it has got me thinking who or what we could have if we ever were to erect one at SJP.
I’m thinking that we shouldn’t go for a specific person but rather a group of unidentified people who would symbolize the many people who came together 20 or so years ago and saved our club.
That concept for a statue would be a bit different and we all know that our club likes to be a bit different!
There would be too much arguing for my my liking on that though I would agree that something that recognised the collective efforts of many people would be appropriate - bigger than a plaque but not a statue. I do like the idea of a statue as suggested for Cliff Bastin and wonder if a Heritage grant application could be submitted by the musuem group. I would be happy to contribute to anything that recognised the best of the best in Tony Kellow

Langer

Yeah there ought to be something within the ground to do with Kellow.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah there ought to be something within the ground to do with Kellow.
Rename the Centre Spot, Kellow's Bar :)

Pobbop

Rename the Centre Spot, Kellow's Bar :)
Well he was the manager at one point, some could say it would be indelicate though, but hey.

JW57++

because of the title I thought this was going to be another Gary Caldwell thread....
Me too.:ROFLMAO: