• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statue

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn't want to hi jack the Kellow thread, great man and I hope to visit his memorial as soon as I can.

Just wanted to put my own perspective on the statue of the bloke on the horse standing between The Clocktower and St Davids station. Whenever I pass it I salute King Rob Edwards. Don't know why.

That is all.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just wanted to put my own perspective on the statue of the bloke on the horse standing between The Clocktower and St Davids station.

That be General Sir Redvers Buller, who was one of our least crepe generals in the Boar War.

As a Crediton man the good folk of that fair town were mighty upset because the generals back and the horses arse were facing their way.

True story.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
That be General Sir Redvers Buller, who was one of our least crepe generals in the Boar War.
Love it!

He won a VC in the Zulu wars, but clearly made a bit of a pig of things (groan) in the Second Boer War, despite the relief of Ladysmith.

He was popular but made enemies and was later sacked and made a scapegoat because of rivalries within the Army / Ministry - plus ca change...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love it!

He won a VC in the Zulu wars, but clearly made a bit of a pig of things (groan) in the Second Boer War, despite the relief of Ladysmith.

He was popular but made enemies and was later sacked and made a scapegoat because of rivalries within the Army / Ministry - plus ca change...

Thanks John :$

I owe you :mad:

;)

Bridgy 81

I have to admit I do like a good statue.
I’ve seen many different examples of them on my footballing travels, some very impressive others not so.
Some of the interesting ones I’ve seen include Tom Finney at Deepdale, Preston (which recreates the famous splash photograph) and Stanley Matthews outside Stoke City’s ground (where his figure is portrayed three times, as if he’s doing a dribble).
Others I’ve seen that I also like have more symbolic meanings.
These include the relatively recent ones in West Bromwich town centre of Laurie Cunningham, Cyrille Regis and Brendon Batson (which celebrates their role in challenging prejudice and discrimination) and also the more sombre one of Kuhn Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha (which stands close to where he and others tragically perished when the helicopter they were travelling in crashed in the car park next to Leicester City’s stadium).
I mention all of this because I saw another couple yesterday.
Outside the DW stadium there’s one of Dave Whelan.
Very understandable as his role with both Wigan’s football and rugby league clubs was very significant.
The other one I saw in the town centre though was of someone I’m afraid to say I was previously unaware.
Billy Boston was a pioneer among black rugby league players and had an absolutely brilliant career playing for Wigan and with a magnificent 478 tries in 487 games through the 50s and 60s became their all time record scorer.
He also scored 24 tries in his 31 appearances for Great Britain including featuring in the team which lifted the 1960 World Cup.
I think it’s great when I end up in places like Wigan yesterday where, with no disrespect, I wouldn’t be likely to visit if City hadn’t been playing there.
Wherever I go in the country in this regard there’s always something new and interesting to see and learn about.
Of course it helps if we bag the 3 points as well.

andrew p long

because of the title I thought this was going to be another Gary Caldwell thread....

crocks

because of the title I thought this was going to be another Gary Caldwell thread....
..or a James Scott one :)

Fareham Grecian

..or a James Scott one :)
Let’s get a Dion Rankine one - it’d be lots cheaper

Bridgy 81

No, but it has got me thinking who or what we could have if we ever were to erect one at SJP.
I’m thinking that we shouldn’t go for a specific person but rather a group of unidentified people who would symbolize the many people who came together 20 or so years ago and saved our club.
That concept for a statue would be a bit different and we all know that our club likes to be a bit different!

tea stand

Which Kellow image would be used as a statue? Just looked at a few pics and I didnt realise that most of images of him shooting are left footed with only one right footed. Plus a few with his head down running past a defender. Always liked the one with his fag in his mouth and champagne bottle pouring into plastic cups but probably not appropriate for a statue!