• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract..

Red Bill

Poor Woody, seems to be getting left out by everyone. He's been at the club 7 years and has been consistent for the last 4 or 5, but still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He may be coming towards the end of his career but he's never had any pace so how does that effect him. Plus when you can put a cross on a sixpence like he can you don't need to be able to get that far up the pitch anyway. Moxey's days as a LB are long gone, but still many would select him ahead of Woodman.
Age does slow you down but there's no substitute for experience, so whilst it will be a good idea to start to blood a replacement this season, Woody still remains my first choice this year.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Poor Woody, seems to be getting left out by everyone. He's been at the club 7 years and has been consistent for the last 4 or 5, but still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He may be coming towards the end of his career but he's never had any pace so how does that effect him. Plus when you can put a cross on a sixpence like he can you don't need to be able to get that far up the pitch anyway. Moxey's days as a LB are long gone, but still many would select him ahead of Woodman.
Age does slow you down but there's no substitute for experience, so whilst it will be a good idea to start to blood a replacement this season, Woody still remains my first choice this year.
Me too, solid player, like to see Hartridge given his chance though.

ryancooper327

Me too, solid player, like to see Hartridge given his chance though.
If no one leaves...

I - most probably incorrectly - predict we will start the season with Woody and end it with Hartridge (if there are no more in-comings).

I think our CBs will be Parkes, A Martin, Moxey, Warren and a loan. Maybe Dyer promoted if no loan.

Right back will be Sweeney and... er... Maybe a youth made to play RB? Maybe/hopefully a loan?

Red Bill

Maybe Woody will hang up his boots at the end of the season anyway. I assume he'll be out of contract next summer. I've only seen Hartridge once and he was playing at CB then, I thought he looked very comfortable there so I wonder which position his future lies in?

exeter-loyal

I should imagine Cundy being chucked in as a regular starter now.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt's man management will be a key this season. Will he rotate to keep everyone happy? Will he be patient if a player makes a bad mistake? He came across as being a bit serious and strict last season. Discipline is important but I hope he lightens up a bit behind the scenes. This is just an impression and of course might be a totally false one .

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tough team to pick as 4 - 4 - 2 often seems to leave us exposed in the centre of midfield however I expect Bowman and Ajose to be the pairing going forward. Ajose hasn't been signed to warm the bench and Bowman deserves to be playing.

On that basis I guess the team will be something like this:

Ward

Sweeney Cundy Parkes Moxey

Williams Taylor Collins Law

Ajose Bowman

In an ideal world I wouldn't have Moxey in the side.

I'd like to find a spot for Lee Martin however where can you play him ? I also prefer Law centrally however who do you leave out without it impacting on the balance of the side.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like that team except the full back pairing which is too slow, but as of yet we haven't any other options, other than untried youth,they will have to do, I would also have Lee Martin ahead of Collins out on the left and move Law centrally

jrg333

If we don't sign another right back I'll become more and more convinced that Matt Taylor is planning to play Jake Taylor at right back next season. Seems to have all the right attributes at least and I can't believe for a second that Matty T, a defender himself, wants another season of Pierce Sweeney at right back.

scottus86

Tough team to pick as 4 - 4 - 2 often seems to leave us exposed in the centre of midfield however I expect Bowman and Ajose to be the pairing going forward. Ajose hasn't been signed to warm the bench and Bowman deserves to be playing.

On that basis I guess the team will be something like this:

Ward

Sweeney Cundy Parkes Moxey

Williams Taylor Collins Law

Ajose Bowman

In an ideal world I wouldn't have Moxey in the side.

I'd like to find a spot for Lee Martin however where can you play him ? I also prefer Law centrally however who do you leave out without it impacting on the balance of the side.
Sparkes at left back perhaps? He seems to have had a good preseason there and also offers something going forward, which will give us more width and Law can then cut inside a bit more.