• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St Thomas 70s & 80s nostaligia fest

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Yes.....Still runs from Church Rd to Old Vicarage Rd..
If we had time before the Moretonhampstead bus, we'd use many of the alleys down to the bottom bus stop, from the one opposite the Methodist Church. Incidentally, there is a "cute" picture of me as a page boy outside that church from 1968 (?). :-O

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dare I say, The Riverside Club. :)
That place had a few name changes...Zchivago's.Routes.Riverside & it was last resurrected as a club again around 1996..can't recall the name now. A local businessman put a fortune into the place in a revamp,designed for a exclusive club(attracting RtP types;))...It of course all fell flat.It failed as a club many times in the past(i only saw it full for the occasion big name band or if DLT or Noel Edmonds did a stint on 'the decks'...

Last edited:

Grecian2K

A monty python sketch was filmed in Cowick Street during the first minute or so of the following clip. You might recognise some of the shops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCFDvNuDWjU
That's a classic RaWZ!!! (Seen it before, many years ago, but never clocked that it was Cowick St)

Also proves that NOTHING ever changes! Swear I've often seen them recently, doing just the same thing.
(Mind you, aren't they heading the wrong way to get to the Sawyers for their early 'spoons liquid Brekkie? :S

grecianred

I am probably a wee bit younger than most on here but haven't yet seen mention of the wide range of pick and mix on offer at perriams. I used to spend a fortune in there in my youth, the widest selection I've ever seen.
For the record tasty plaice was and is far superior chippy to oliver's all of which pale in comparison to exwick road.

toast

Breallys Club in Cowick St.

Japanman

That place had a few name changes...Zchivago's.Routes.Riverside & it was last resurrected as a club again around 1996..can't recall the name now. A local businessman put a fortune into the place in a revamp,designed for a exclusive club(attracting RtP types;))...It of course all fell flat.It failed as a club many times in the past(i only saw it full for the occasion big name band or if DLT or Noel Edmonds did a stint on 'the decks'...
Zchivago's 1975 snogging with Wendy Fox to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaElH0EHjIs in one of the semi-circle booths.

Routes 1979 : The Police and The Ruts. Happy days...

Oldsmobile-88

Routes 1979 : The Police and The Ruts. Happy days...
Indeed mate......It was a good venue for bands....iirc there was a seperate part of the club called Oakies...

Oldsmobile-88

Its often forgotten that until the early 1980's St Thomas still had a lot of heavy industry around Haven Rd,Water Lane,Willeys Avenue..
Willeys of course,which in its heyday employed over 500.Other engeneering firms were Vulcan Works,Marcus Hodges,Smiths Meters,Arthur Crocker,Kings Asphalt,Greenslades Coach Works.Victor Beer Engineering(now where The Malt House is) All of these firms were in a half square mile.....+ of course the SWEB depot(now where Mackro is) & The South West Gas,Basin Works at the end of Haven Rd (now Isca House)

Last edited:

iscalad

Indeed mate......It was a good venue for bands....iirc there was a seperate part of the club called Oakies...
Saw Adge Cutler and the Wurzels there.

Kingsman

The King of bubblegum was born in St Thomas. Tony Burrows who sung lead vocals for Edison Lighthouse, The Ivy League, The FlowerPot Men, White Plains, Brotherhood of Man, First Class and the Pipkins. He ruled the charts in the early 70's on one occasion fronting three groups on the same night on Top of the Pops.