• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So, where did we go wrong?

Red Monster

I don’t think it has - top 10 this season was always our rightful place in the table - we’re not good enough for the playoffs sadly.

If Stockley stays we would of got playoffs for sure.
If Stockley had stayed we would have got Automatic promotion.
Bowman’s done okay 5 goals January-May
But what would Stockley have done 12-15 surely!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
If Stockley had stayed we would have got Automatic promotion.
Bowman’s done okay 5 goals January-May
But what would Stockley have done 12-15 surely!
We wouldn’t IMO - we would of finished 5th-6th with Stockley, the sides above us have better squads and finished above us for that very reason, Stockley would of carried us into a position above our ability given his ability

Red Monster

We wouldn’t IMO - we would of finished 5th-6th with Stockley, the sides above us have better squads and finished above us for that very reason, Stockley would of carried us into a position above our ability given his ability[/QUOT
That maybe the case but we were only 9pts behind a Automatic place ,even with picking up only one point yesterday
With Stockley I’m pretty sure we would have bridge that gap IMO.

Antony Moxey

It's quite simple Pete, we had somebody who was going to get very close to 30 goals this season until …. and then we didn't. And then we couldn't, for whatever reason, replace him. It's funny what the odd goal or do does to turn a match not only in terms of result but ability and confidence in the rest of the side in general.
For whatever reason? How about £100k strikers - or £600-odd k seeing as that what he went for - don’t exactly grow on trees and that there weren’t a bunch of them kicking their heels waiting for us to snap them up? Seriously do you genuinely think it’d be that easy to find a replacement for Stockley just like that?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law has had a great season however it could have been even better if he had played centrally more often with the freedom to get close to the likes of Bowman.

Next season a front four of:

Lee Martin Law Williams (all playing as attacking midfielders)

Bowman

with Jake Taylor and Collins sitting in could see us creating a shed load of chances imho.

We need to add strikers to the squad however we already have the nucleus of a very promising attacking line up.

This season hasn't been perfect however I have enjoyed it more than many in recent years.

Looking forward to next season already !

In Matty Taylor I trust.

Last edited:

Angus

I for one didn't expect us to progress and go on further then Paul did in one season.

One reason I wanted Paul out was not because we didn't get promoted it was because seeing him week in week out was getting boring, for the team and fans. Paul will be one the best managers we'll have however long term management doesn't keep the candle alight.

So for this season I'm chuffed, let's build on it and do better, if we don't achieve play offs next season then we need a change again. For now, we're doing as expected.

grecIAN Harris

For whatever reason? How about £100k strikers - or £600-odd k seeing as that what he went for - don’t exactly grow on trees and that there weren’t a bunch of them kicking their heels waiting for us to snap them up? Seriously do you genuinely think it’d be that easy to find a replacement for Stockley just like that?
Why do think I said 'we couldn't, for whatever reason, …….. That said, what is wrong with us spending some of what we got for Stockley on a top level Conference player. after all, that's all Preston did in buying Stockley from us. They looked at player who was playing well, scoring goals and looked the part from lower ranking team. Why shouldn't we? It's not like in days of old where we've needed every bit of money available to pay the electric bill but surely now we could pocket £600k and put £150k into replacing our star asset particularly whn we're tlking about a striker.

Angus

Why sell him when we did then? If we had no suitable replacement and no affordable replacement, why sell him half way through why not make a deal where we'll sell him at the end of the season

grecIAN Harris

Why sell him when we did then? If we had no suitable replacement and no affordable replacement, why sell him half way through why not make a deal where we'll sell him at the end of the season
Because it was in Stockley's contract. He had a £750k release fee clause and ultimately it was his choice to stay or go from there on in. If I offered you City on whatever wages he was getting or Championship football on, undoubtably, better wages what are you going to do if your Stockley? It's a no brainer.

Antony Moxey

Why sell him? Couple of things: do you think we had a choice and do you think we’re in a position to turn down a transfer fee such as the one that was offered?