So, where did we go wrong?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the blame game for today is starting up at the latter end of the matchday thread, so I thought this thread might be useful since that game was in our hands today and we really should have won it, no question.

For what its worth, I thought Bowman had a tremendous game today playing out of his skin and never stopped running, but he really should have got a goal IMHO. We know by now that he's not a goalscoring replacement for Stockley, so maybe its harsh to single him out, but I wish he could have done better on one of those chances at least.

Its not all about today though is it? The points we threw away in the run in especially were dreadful, I mean losing at home to Macclesfield? What do other City chums think?

I'm trying to take consolation from the suggestion that we weren't good enough to get promoted, but I cant make that work very well! ;(

SEA Grecian

Not sure we went wrong at all as we finished higher up the table than most people expected at the start of the season. However, the January transfer window was clearly significant. It wasn't just losing but Stockley that hurt us but also the pointless re-call of Ogbene, who was just starting to look like he could be a valuable player for us. In both cases it understandably took their replacements a couple of months to get up to speed by which time we had dropped too many crucial points.

Stelios

It all went wrong when the clocks changed. I don't know why it happened but we had such a terrible run (no win in 8 league games in Oct/Nov/Dec). Plus the stuffing against Blackpool.

We had a 'virus' go through the squad and the team was never settled again really. So many injuries throughout the season too. The squad looked weak, unbalanced and very ropey. Just when we got firing again after a great Christmas we lost Stockley and that was that really. You need 15-20 goals a year strikers to go up.

I'm not sure raw loanees like Ogbene, Abrahams, D Wilson, Jaden Brown (remember him) are the answer. You get the odd gem like Dara O'Shea and Kane Wilson but managers lose their bottle to play some of them when it matters. One or two a year is fine. We had too many this year.

I still think if Tisdale had played Kyle Edwards for the whole season we could have gone up in the autos last year but that is for another thread!

CityTillIDie

MT's first season, just missed the play offs.. not sure we went wrong too bad tbh!

arthur

We had an average to good season. The order in which our good and bad spells appeared makes it looks worse than it is. Had we started slowly (new manager, new players getting to know each other etc) and clawed our way to within a point of the playoffs with a victory on the last day of the season, this sort of question would be phrased slightly differently.

Grecian2K

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
So "where did we go wrong"???

Well, apart from the fact that our vertically-challenged glovesman was not able to soar like an eagle in the 95th minute to nod in a winner I would, unapologetically, apportion the blame on our bitter, twisted and self-appointed MD thread-starter for missing the obligatory word "Official" in the title.

Jinxed before we even reached the A46. :(

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Agree with this..... not sure for a first season in management that it did go wrong
I was thinking more about todays game really. Other results all going our way so that we needed a solitary goal, we didnt get one. It was one-way traffic towards Forest Greens goal in the first half, and City looked the better team. Okay they came at us in the 2nd 45 and Pym made two top saves, but I still couldnt believe we couldnt find a goal. I thought the referee was outstanding incidently, but he doesnt count. I suppose we should have contested that dropped ball the referee gave to their keeper under the circumstances, but we wouldnt have heard the last of it if we'd scored!

eurogrecian

We didn’t go wrong. Great first season for the manager. He’s learning as he goes. Tremendous effort by all the players today - the ball just didn’t run for us in the box.
Bound to be some personnel changes in the summer, but the Club is in good heart and I’m sure we can kick on next season.
Enjoyed my day out at FGR despite the result.

grecIAN Harris

It's quite simple Pete, we had somebody who was going to get very close to 30 goals this season until January...………………………………………

…………………………………. and then we didn't. And then we couldn't, for whatever reason, replace him. It's funny what the odd goal or do does to turn a match not only in terms of result but ability and confidence in the rest of the side in general.

SEA Grecian

It's quite simple Pete, we had somebody who was going to get very close to 30 goals this season until January...………………………………………

…………………………………. and then we didn't. And then we couldn't, for whatever reason, replace him. It's funny what the odd goal or do does to turn a match not only in terms of result but ability and confidence in the rest of the side in general.
We did replace him. It's just that, after joining in the middle of the season, it inevitably took Ryan Bowman a while to settle and get used to his new team. However, with 5 goals in the last 6 games I think he has actually exceeded expectations. The bigger issue is that no other out-and-out striker has scored since Jayden left and no other City player has scored in the last 4 games.

grecIAN Harris

We didn't replace him. Stockley will score goals consistently all season, that's what he does. Bowman on the other hand will score his share of goals (12-15 a season, much like Flackie used to) but they will probably come in patches, like recently, but he is there for what else he brings to the side. He needs a partner to work off him, who will probably get a thicker end of the wedge of goals, to make sure that the side get the best out of him.