• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So, what happens next if...........

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems to me the fear is entirely justified. I know we have, erm, challenges currently but things could still be a lot worse: like they were when you were involved with the club, we teetered perpetually on the edge of going bust, and Noel Blake was the manager.

That is not an argument against change by the way, just a reality check on what seems to be a growing 'anything is better than this' mentality.
What was it you said about "snide" comments in your previous set of posts.... :) I doubt you know much about the current state of the club let alone what it was during the mid to late 90's....

Is caution just a default way of saying what Chris Wickens said earlier in the thread?

tonykellowfan

FG, I know that the worst thing we can do as supporters is start falling out with each other, but how bad do things have to get before something has to change?

Red Bill

Seems to me the fear is entirely justified. I know we have, erm, challenges currently but things could still be a lot worse: like they were when you were involved with the club, we teetered perpetually on the edge of going bust, and Noel Blake was the manager.

That is not an argument against change by the way, just a reality check on what seems to be a growing 'anything is better than this' mentality.
If £3M in windfall still leaves us skint I imagine we must have still been teetering on the edge of going bust. Personally I think the 'anything's better than this' mentality is far more pro active than the risk averse 'better the devil you know mentality'.

Terryhall

Sorry to add another thread about the major issue concerning Exeweb but if Tis does walk, potentially with Tagg and Perryman, what happens next? Who would be able to take over the reins and install some confidence within the footballing side, the Club and the supporters?

The minimum requirement is for ECFC to stay in the Football League. Is a clear-out the best way forward? Would we not be better off at getting the BOS to pressurise the Club Board to set minimum standards on the manager regarding performances on the pitch?

I think I know what some of the responses will be, but seriously "what happens next if....?"
To answer your questions from the OP, IF Tisdale, Tagg and Perryman all left tomorrow, I would say the next steps that the club would need to follow (not in order of importance, and with no pre-judging of a timeline for any of these)

1. Based on a review of best practice, decide whether the role of CEO or Chairman should be held by one individual or kept separate
2. Based on a review of best practice, decide whether either the role of CEO or the role of Chairman should be paid or unpaid
3. Based on a review of best practice, decide whether the club needs a Director of Football or not
4. Begin recruitment for a new 1st team manager
5. Begin recruitment for a new CEO
6. Begin recruitment for a new Chairman (unless the role remains combined in which case 5 becomes recruitment for the combined role)
7. Begin recruitment for a new DoF (if decided that one is required)
8. Via the Trust Board as representative of the majority shareholder in the Club,

a. put in place a recognised best practice framework of corporate governance and oversight framework
b. Set clear and measurable targets and objectives for key personnel, with proportionate and sensible incentives in place for meeting or exceeding these
c. Put in place succession and contingency planning for key personnel to minimise the impact of "key person risk"
d. Set clear priorities for the football side of the business designed to keep the club competitive in the context of the rest of the industry (for example, off the top of my head, winning home games, targeting a cup run, etc.)

The line of progress will never be straight and will never be all up, but this approach would at least put in place the right checks and balances to have some accountability when things are not going in the direction we might all hope for.

EDIT - Just to add, I don't necessarily think Tisdale, Tagg or Perryman should leave - this is simply in response to the hypothetical scenario from the OP.

Last edited:

sladie

I think the problems are at club board level, i still believe Tisdale is the manager we need, i believe with a less friendly board he would be under a little more pressure and therefore get his mojo back

One things for sure, the players dont need to hear the BB chant Tisdale out or, your not fit to wear the shirt, after losing to a dodgy pen

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I think the problems are at club board level, i still believe Tisdale is the manager we need, i believe with a less friendly board he would be under a little more pressure and therefore get his mojo back

One things for sure, the players dont need to hear the BB chant Tisdale out or, your not fit to wear the shirt, after losing to a dodgy pen
Pay your money take your choice - 5 years of absolute rubbish home form - there lucky there not chanting louder

Antony Moxey

Then don't lose to a dodgy pen. If it was a one-off performance then people will live with that - everyone has a bad day at the office sometime - but when it's a continuation of five years of poor performances then a few chants from the BB are the least of your worries.

chunkymorrinmunter

Board level?who are the board,JT in isolation I would suspect.