• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP Pitch

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The pitch is ****. Simples. We need a new one that doesn't disintegrate after a weeks rain and doesn't repair for the rest of the season.

You get what you pay for ..

On the up

The pitch looks ok from the stands, but it is very rutted. We used have one of the best pitches now we're definately in the bottom 3 rd of league 2 playing surfaces.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
The pitch looks ok from the stands, but it is very rutted. We used have one of the best pitches now we're definately in the bottom 3 rd of league 2 playing surfaces.
I saw us play Crawley off the park on a pitch that would have shamed a Sunday League game....

If we had won more games at SJP you wouldn't be hearing the excuses...If the pitch is that bad and there is no rational reason, then replace the ground staff.... You can't have it everyway.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Anybody who has seen the video of our encounter with Man U. in January 1969 will appreciate that, however bad our pitch is now, it's a million times better than back then. There's a classic moment when George Best gets upended and slides through something resembling a ploughed field. He gets up and carries on. No Premier League team would allow their players anywhere near a pitch like that today.

What I find somewhat ironic is that our home performances and results have generally gone tits-up since the pitch was dug up and re-layed. Prior to that they were rarely as bad.

edindevon

Our players should think themselves lucky they're not playing in the Ukrainian Premier League, otherwise they really might have cause to complain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj9KD-kjLMY

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Tisdale wanted the new pitch and was given what he wanted although I guess its possible to pay more for a better quality surface. Tisdale was quoted in the summer saying he expected the pitch to be faster and enable us to move the ball quicker. The pitch probably isn't as good as he would have hoped but I don't accept it as a reasonable excuse.

We will be more used to it if there are any problems, and when you play a match its the same for both sides. Most of the sides to have visited have managed to come away with at least a point.

I don't think that many sides come to sjp anymore and park the bus as they know they have a chance of a result, however our style probably does suit playing away, hence why we have won so many more away from the park. If our way of playing isn't getting enough wins then it's up to the manager to alter things to improve our chances, and if it is really believed that the pitch doesn't suit our game then why is Tisdale regularly quoted as saying "we need to continue to play our own game"?

Haven't done the maths but wonder how many other sides have won the same or fewer home games over the past four seasons? If there are some I would be surprised if any of them have at the same time been more successful away and generally been in no danger of relegation.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

To be fair to the ground staff though. Despite its other faults they do seem to have managed to keep it algae free this season.

paperclip

Oxford didn't seem to have any problems in playing fast-flowing football on the SJP pitch, nor did Rovers. And we seemed to manage it ok when 2-0 down to Mansfield last month. I don't accept that the playing surface is the explanation for our dismal home form (although I do acknowledge its not perfect).

Pete Martin (CTID)

Tisdale wanted the new pitch and was given what he wanted although I guess its possible to pay more for a better quality surface.
Didn't the Gargoyles (fail to) pay around 3 times what we did for their super duper algae infested pitch?

dontpassback

Barry corr will be gutted,if i recall he donated quite a sum for the pitch in project !