• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP Pitch

grecian109

Spoke to a few players yesterday after the game with them signing shirts etc all were great and in truth willing to chat with regards the poor home form the following two points were commonly raised:

1) An inability to play 'our' passing game due to a lack of space which presents itself away from home as the opposition attack.

2) The SJP pitch being 'far from ideal' and 'not the easiest to play on'

On point 2 having traveled to nearly all of the league 2 grounds I personally do not think our pitch is really that bad - is it?

Clive seems to do an excellent job, my only complaint would be those B****y sprinklers on 24/7...

Rabid Doug

A poor workman blames his tools. The players continually hear Tis complaining about the pitch, so it isnt surprising they will use the same excuse. Football is played on grass not carpet, grass grows, it gets damaged, it isnt always even....a good player adapts to the pitch he plays on, a good manager knows the pitch and how best his team should use it. If they cant play on our pitch let them find another pitch to play on.

Maybe if the team actually trained on the pitch sometimes, visited the ground more often than just matchday (stopped living in the Cattle n Fiddle cuccoon) they wouldn't be surprised on matchday. The players can go to the gym all they like, practice all their routines on the training pitches until the cows come home...but every two weeks during the season they have to play it for real on their own pitch, with their own fans watching...and they should know how every inch of their pitch and how best to use it.

The pitch is fine, but could be better, the manager and those precious players that complain are just looking for excuses and should look more closely at their own inability to play football on grass. If not, feck off and we can get players that can and a manager who can manage a team that can play in front of their own fans, a manager that doesn't have to dress up like a Clothes Horse every Saturday, afraid himself to walk on to the pitch and wearing a hat, not as a fashion statement but as a shield. The manager barely gets excited or puts his own feet on to the pitch. The board really need to wake up and stop believing the bull**** spouted by Man at Ted Baker, the pitch is not an excuse, the manager himself is the excuse.

I am sure all the players play a great FIFA 16 game where the wind doesn't blow and every pitch is even...oh the ideal and virtual world they live in

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
A poor workman blames his tools. The players continually hear Tis complaining about the pitch, so it isnt surprising they will use the same excuse. Football is played on grass not carpet, grass grows, it gets damaged, it isnt always even....a good player adapts to the pitch he plays on, a good manager knows the pitch and how best his team should use it. If they cant play on our pitch let them find another pitch to play on.

Maybe if the team actually trained on the pitch sometimes, visited the ground more often than just matchday (stopped living in the Cattle n Fiddle cuccoon) they wouldn't be surprised on matchday. The players can go to the gym all they like, practice all their routines on the training pitches until the cows come home...but every two weeks during the season they have to play it for real on their own pitch, with their own fans watching...and they should know how every inch of their pitch and how best to use it.

The pitch is fine, but could be better, the manager and those precious players that complain are just looking for excuses and should look more closely at their own inability to play football on grass. If not, feck off and we can get players that can and a manager who can manage a team that can play in front of their own fans, a manager that doesn't have to dress up like a Clothes Horse every Saturday, afraid himself to walk on to the pitch and wearing a hat, not as a fashion statement but as a shield. The manager barely gets excited or puts his own feet on to the pitch. The board really need to wake up and stop believing the bull**** spouted by Man at Ted Baker, the pitch is not an excuse, the manager himself is the excuse.

I am sure all the players play a great FIFA 16 game where the wind doesn't blow and every pitch is even...oh the ideal and virtual world they live in
Exactly, I wonder what they would all make of the pitch when I played on it in 1960's. There were often bare patches, not to mention the occasional puddle. Players never complained at the time, they just got on with it.

rp42

NO complaints from our players after drawing with Liverpool?? But according to clip Klopp we knew which parts to pay on........(rofl)

grecian109

That must those few patches, you know that 5% which isn't waterlogged (y):D

Fareham Grecian

Exactly, I wonder what they would all make of the pitch when I played on it in 1960's. There were often bare patches, not to mention the occasional puddle. Players never complained at the time, they just got on with it.
Ooh, I loved the old days, it was so much nicer when all my children died from TB.

They (modern players) would have thought the pitch was a disgrace, and impossible to play decent football on. Quite rightly. But teams in those days didn't play decent football, and almost all the pitches were crap, so it didn't matter. Like most things in life, the standard of players and pitches is infinitely better than it was then. And you try to pretend that that's a bad thing?! Hilarious.

Fareham Grecian

There is a serious point to this thread, and that is that our pitch, despite the expensive rebuild, is a bit ****. Whose fault that is I don't know, but it's not good - you only have to look at it.

dontpassback

Tony kellow must be turning in his grave,i nevef recalled him,giler or peter hatch moaning about the pitch!

rp42

There is a serious point to this thread, and that is that our pitch, despite the expensive rebuild, is a bit ****. Whose fault that is I don't know, but it's not good - you only have to look at it.
But we Won on some she-ite away pitches.....more than we did on our own?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
a manager that doesn't have to dress up like a Clothes Horse every Saturday, afraid himself to walk on to the pitch and wearing a hat, not as a fashion statement but as a shield. The manager barely gets excited or puts his own feet on to the pitch. The board really need to wake up and stop believing the bull**** spouted by Man at Ted Baker, the pitch is not an excuse, the manager himself is the excuse.
What on earth has any of that guff got to do with the pitch?