• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should he stay or should he go?

Would you like to see Alex Inglethorpe stay as manager of Exeter City?

• Stay

Votes: 137 68.5%
  • Go

Votes: 63 31.5%

• Total voters

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Morning Bost...

Serious question, Is his wife really working in London? I know that she used to, but gave her job up when he moved down here.

As for Henry, I think after the CL final, and the interview he gave, it really was from his heart.

LLL

LammieLammieLammie

EXEfactor said:
I do. He is only 34 and hasn't made it yet. we are cash strapped and will always be that way. Success invariably in football is bought through transfer fees and wages. We can't offer either. He wants to be a league manager and what better way to be one than join MK dons. If he felt we had a chance of promotion next season he would stay. To even consider a move means he doesn't see that as a reality. Sorry Lammie but by talking to other clubs about another job opportunity tells me he has already made up his mind to leave.
But how does anyone know what the MK Dons are offering salary wise? I accept that it must be nice for a manager to have money to buy players, and that AI is probably frustrated that the team earned a shedload of money since he has been here that he hasn't been able to spend, but equally, I think that the timing is really wrong for him to leave now, from his perspective as well as ours.

I gather the new Dons stadium is impressive, and Pete Winkle is the kind of bloke that you either like or "hate", and that in itself would give Alex issues to consider.

One thing we all agree on though is that its very bad timing. :(

Last edited:

GrecianInWales

Bostin, I thought several other people had come on here to say AI's wife HADN'T gone back to London. You seem incredibly sure that she has.

Also, everybody thinks he'll be off to MK Dons. Personally, I'm more worried he'll leave for Spurs.

bostin

LammieLammieLammie said:
Morning Bost...

Serious question, Is his wife really working in London? I know that she used to, but gave her job up when he moved down here.

As for Henry, I think after the CL final, and the interview he gave, it really was from his heart.

LLL
Morning Lam. Granted with Henry there were a number of factors in making his decision, but one thing he was faced with was uprooting his English wife. Unlike most of his European mercenary contemporaries, Henry actually has roots in this country and I think that had more of a bearing than anything else.

It's rumoured that Alex's wife has already got a job back in the City and I for one can't blame her. She was probably earning a fair bit but bit the bullet for the sake of her husband's career, gave it all up to move down and had a kid. Now AI's got his foot on the first rung of the managerial ladder and she is in a position to go back to work she's faced with the choice of getting a job locally earning a pittance or going back to what she knows earning up to 4 times what she could in Exeter and probably nearer her family (who are from the South East are they not?). What would you do? I'm speculating of course, but it all makes sense.

LammieLammieLammie

bostin said:
It's rumoured that Alex's wife has already got a job back in the City and I for one can't blame her. She was probably earning a fair bit but bit the bullet for the sake of her husband's career, gave it all up to move down and had a kid. Now AI's got his foot on the first rung of the managerial ladder and she is in a position to go back to work she's faced with the choice of getting a job locally earning a pittance or going back to what she knows earning up to 4 times what she could in Exeter and probably nearer her family (who are from the South East are they not?). What would you do? I'm speculating of course, but it all makes sense.
I had not heard that rumour, but the impression that I had was she is really settled and likes it here.

What would I do?

Get the missus to earn more and then give up work. :)

finetime

I think he should go.

Let's face it, he's going to be moving on sooner or later. Best for him to leave now at the end of the season, giving us time to find a new manager and then for him to sign the players he wants as I'd imagine there is a large portion of the playing budget available. I don't want him to go but I'd prefer he leaves now than in, say, october when the season has started and we have a full squad.

I'm still rather bemused as to why he's attracting so much attention. I'm assuming he's an excellent coach (although how that translates to last seasons kick and rush effort I don't know) as Tottenham are supposedly after him but as a manager he's done absolutely nothing bar beating a couple of league teams, one courtesy of an outrageous fluke, and drawing with a Manchester United reserves team.

I don't really know who is available manager-wise. I liked what Rosenoir did at Torquay before it all went tits up for him. He seemed to want to play open, attractive football and signed some decent players. he also knows the area and demands of managing a SW club. I think it would be preferable to have a manager with some experience although I trust the board will make the corrct signing if Alex does indeed leave.

edit: I normally hate pre-season. At least this one is going to be fairly interesting!

Last edited:

bostin

I'm not sure about Rossenior as I don't really follow Torquay much. What were the main reasons behind their meteoric rise then subsequent fall?

Grecian Max

Thinking about it a bit more, I would be happy if Leroy Rosenior came in. At one point he was being touted as the next Bristol City manager, before it all when wrong last year. He got Torquay to play some brilliant football, and although some might say this wasn't down to him because the players were already there...why weren't they playing like that before?

ChallinorisaGOD

I've voted to stay, as I can't see us getting a better option at the moment. If it had been two weeks ago I probably would have said go because we could have got Stimson, I believe he is the best manager in the conference and a step-up in terms of quality than AI.

However as has been said we need stability, another manager comes in who is of equal quality will want to build their own team just like Alex did and this has taken him 2 years, we can't wait that long to be ready for a promotion push again, like I believe we could be this season if he stays.

Red Lion

finetime said:
I'm still rather bemused as to why he's attracting so much attention. I'm assuming he's an excellent coach (although how that translates to last seasons kick and rush effort I don't know) as Tottenham are supposedly after him but as a manager he's done absolutely nothing bar beating a couple of league teams, one courtesy of an outrageous fluke, and drawing with a Manchester United reserves team.
I think Alex should stay, he hasn't proved himself here yet. His finest moments were achieved with the team Eamonn left him and Jonesy.

Last edited by a moderator: