• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield United Vs Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Grecian1966

That was perhaps the most enjoyable away day of all time for me. I've seen city in some grotholes such as Layer Road and the old Spotland so to see us go toe to toe in a premier league ground against class opposition was joy. I think i'm up to around sixty grounds now and Elland Road and Bramall Lane were nice additions:D

Anyone heard yet how many city fans in attendance?

Fareham Grecian

Anyone heard yet how many city fans in attendance?
630! Official...

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reading the SU forum it appears that their fans think we are a very dirty side. I wasn't at the game on sat but were we really that bad or is this sour grapes? see below for a comment made by one of their posters. Surely none of our players would deliberately upset disabled supporters after scoring?

Many other posters on the forum also comment about how cynical and dirty we are.

------------------------------------------------------------
Exeter

I have real mixed feelings about Exeter. I respect the way that they did not lay down, battled hard, closed down and pressed us, made us work for our goals and showed some real fighting spirit. However they were a dirty, cynical side. They should have had 3 men sent off and the way that they kicked us, roughed us up and got aggressive/dirty was sickening. They also went out of their way to wind the up home fans in a gross act of cynicism. They were allowed to do this by the referee, but for me it took the shine off what was a real battling performance.

There was the head butt, an incident in the first half were one of their players raised his hands and pushed a United player and also the clean through on Evans that all could (and probably should) have warranted red cards. They were fortunate in that sense. But they worked hard and were good for their point. They’ll stay in this division. What they lack in quality they make up for in spirit and hard work. Another thing that really ****** me off was the way they celebrated their goals. Running down and celebrating in front of the kop is out of order. That nobhead who scored their third deserves a whack for that. He could have caused a riot and was lucky not to get carded for that. The way they celebrated the fourth was simply pathetic. Running to the John Street and going mental in front of disabled United fans was bad taste. The goalscorer trying to wind up and intimidate people in wheelchairs was outrageous. Again he escaped unpunished.

crocks

Oh dear, those grapes don't taste so good do they!

FiddlersCat

Sensitive bunch aren't they?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Stats (via the Press Association which is ALWAYS RIGHT):

Fouls: Sheffield United 12, Exeter City 8.

Cynical? Us? Pshah.

ececfecfcok

I liked the insight into the pre-match routine from today's E&E, especially this from Tis:

"Tisdale also gave an insight into the preparation to Saturday's game, which did not go to plan. "We forgot our music machine, so we had steely silence for an hour before the game, which is unusual and felt very strange," he said."

Music machine? Only to be used by proper chaps.

Poultice

No.Stats show Sheff Utd committed 50% more fouls than ECFC did.
Actually they don't, the stats show that Sheff U were penalised more than we were, they do not take account of wrongly awarded free kicks or foul play that was not penalised.

The only stat that ever matters is the score.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stats (via the Press Association which is ALWAYS RIGHT):

Fouls: Sheffield United 12, Exeter City 8.

Cynical? Us? Pshah.
I hate to think what their view is of MK Dons and Brentford, who really ARE cynical...