• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scapegoat XI

Ashford Grecian

Matt Jay got a lot of stick before he turned it around

In addition to some good names already mentioned, I always felt as though these players were often given an unfair crack of the whip by sections of the support:

Wayne Carlisle
Jordan Tillson
Andy Roscoe
Geoff Breslan
Richard Duffy (at times)
Jamie Mackie (until his golden (half) season)
Alex Russell

As has been referenced, given that some of these players played for us when we were a poor side generally, always the argument of whether they were a scapegoat or actually just poor players, but IMO even if they had a good game, never truly got the praise they deserved compared to others.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Chris Fry always got stick that I thought was undeserved.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
In addition to some good names already mentioned, I always felt as though these players were often given an unfair crack of the whip by sections of the support:

Wayne Carlisle
Jordan Tillson
Andy Roscoe
Geoff Breslan
Richard Duffy (at times)
Jamie Mackie (until his golden (half) season)
Alex Russell

As has been referenced, given that some of these players played for us when we were a poor side generally, always the argument of whether they were a scapegoat or actually just poor players, but IMO even if they had a good game, never truly got the praise they deserved compared to others.
Tillson, yes. Andy Roscoe, yes. The rest.......... really????? Especially Wayno.......

scottus86

I always felt Sercombe got given a hard time on exeweb.

Tillson, yes. Andy Roscoe, yes. The rest.......... really????? Especially Wayno.......
Duffy seemed to always be the one in that defensive unit that got blamed for things IMO.
Mackie again, in his early days was full of endeavour but I thought he got so many collective huffs and groans, quite often upon his first instance of losing the ball. Once he added his goals, different story. Same with Breslan, especially towards his departure.
Wayno - I recall that, for at least the first year of his spell with us, was often a poor crosser of the ball, and unless my memory has been severely tainted, remember him regularly seeing his crosses float into the away end or even worse, a few times onto St James Road. That led to him often getting a lot of stick and being met with increased criticism from areas of the Ivor Doble in my vicinity and I personally never thought it was all warranted, although I did think his final product needed a lot of improvement, which, in fairness to him, think it did significantly improve for the promotion season, although his very fortunate pea roller at Plainmoor typified his inconsistent end product IMO.
Alex Russell - I always thought he played an important role in the side and rated him personally, but again, from memory, seem to recall what I deemed to be an unfair amount of hostility towards him due to the perception that he never/rarely played forwards.

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

I always felt Sercombe got given a hard time on exeweb.
That was just Hants :)

Alistair20000

Tom Nichols was under appreciated especially in this parish despite scoring 32 goals in 97 appearances which was none too shabby

grecIAN Harris

Duffy seemed to always be the one in that defensive unit that got blamed for things IMO.
Mackie again, in his early days was full of endeavour but I thought he got so many collective huffs and groans, quite often upon his first instance of losing the ball. Once he added his goals, different story. Same with Breslan, especially towards his departure.
Wayno - I recall that, for at least the first year of his spell with us, was often a poor crosser of the ball, and unless my memory has been severely tainted, remember him regularly seeing his crosses float into the away end or even worse, a few times onto St James Road. That led to him often getting a lot of stick and being met with increased criticism from areas of the Ivor Doble in my vicinity and I personally never thought it was all warranted, although I did think his final product needed a lot of improvement, which, in fairness to him, think it did significantly improve for the promotion season, although his very fortunate pea roller at Plainmoor typified his inconsistent end product IMO.
Alex Russell - I always thought he played an important role in the side and rated him personally, but again, from memory, seem to recall what I deemed to be an unfair amount of hostility towards him due to the perception that he never/rarely played forwards.
And there was me thinking Mackie was God on Exeweb.......... but then what you've said is he was getting moaned at for doing things wrong, not getting blamed just because of who gets is and not what he is or isn't doing which to me is what a scapegoat is.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Neil Whitworth was an absolute colossus, I can see why no-one has mentioned him yet...