• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scapegoat XI

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure a manager can ever be a scapegoat? After all, the manager has the ultimate responsibility so if, oh I don't know, just for arguments sake, a team didn't win a match for 3 months then that's the responsibility of the manager, he doesn't unfairly take the blame.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure a manager can ever be a scapegoat? After all, the manager has the ultimate responsibility so if, oh I don't know, just for arguments sake, a team didn't win a match for 3 months then that's the responsibility of the manager, he doesn't unfairly take the blame.
Neil McNab?

Tim Long

Neil McNab?
Neil McNob, more like.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Neil McNab?
Just shit. Totally responsible for shit.

haka

I checked the Grecian Archive, and John Cornforth was sacked in October 2002 (the relegation season). So in fact some of the worst decisions in that season (Lee Sharpe etc) had happened before McNab's arrival.

To that extend he was a partial scapegoat, for a mess that had already been created by the (later convicted) owners. He wasn't up to the job, but he wasn't the biggest culprit.

haka

As for players, one factor in achieving Scapegoat Status is if you replace somebody very popular. After Tony Kellow left (the first time) he was never adequately replaced until 18 months later and the arrival of ... Tony Kellow!

In the meantime I can recall the crowd being impatient with Ian Pearson, who wasn't really a like-for-like replacement anyway. But he cost real money (for the time) so expectations were high, and he couldn't meet them.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
As for players, one factor in achieving Scapegoat Status is if you replace somebody very popular. After Tony Kellow left (the first time) he was never adequately replaced until 18 months later and the arrival of ... Tony Kellow!

In the meantime I can recall the crowd being impatient with Ian Pearson, who wasn't really a like-for-like replacement anyway. But he cost real money (for the time) so expectations were high, and he couldn't meet them.
Are you sure about that? Or are you on about another Ian Pearson that I haven't heard of because Ian Pearson played wide on the right or in n midfield but was never a striker although a quick check shows we signed him for £25k which in 1978 was quite substantial for anyone.

haka

But that's exactly my point, and why he's an example of a scapegoat. Kellow was sold, and the cash was used first of all to sign Pearson (he even wore the same number shirt).

This match report gives a flavour of how he was regarded at first. Not the role he took on as the team developed, ironically when Kellow returned.

The Grecian Archive - Match 23 18th November 1978 Chester City (Home) And in the Western League Saltash (away) (exeter.ac.uk)

David Treharne

Neil McNab?
Russell & Lewis quoted in 'The Guardian' on 17th October 2002 :

"McNab is the right man for the job. Both Neil and Gary come with the highest recommendations. When we mention their names to other managers in the game we got massively positive feedback. What we like best about both of them is that they are both hungry and will live and eat Exeter City".

No further comment!

Nigel E

But that's exactly my point, and why he's an example of a scapegoat. Kellow was sold, and the cash was used first of all to sign Pearson (he even wore the same number shirt).

This match report gives a flavour of how he was regarded at first. Not the role he took on as the team developed, ironically when Kellow returned.

The Grecian Archive - Match 23 18th November 1978 Chester City (Home) And in the Western League Saltash (away) (exeter.ac.uk)
Was going to mention this period too. Basically anyone up front was criticised for not being Tony Kellow.

Ian Pearson was certainly signed as a striker - I think he had played as such for Millwall - but didn't shine in that role for us.

From what I remember Keith Bowker also got some stick around that time. Though I may be thinking of his earlier spell with us. I think Bowker might certainly be classed as a scapegoat at times during his spells with us. Objectively he had a very respectable scoring record but tended to be overshadowed by others of that era.

But is always difficult to distinguish between actual scapegoats and the players who just didn't do very well for us, as we've had so many players of the latter type.