• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just to clarify my thoughts on Harley. As I said in my initial post he had loads of talent but as was amply demonstrated wherever he went, he lacked the drive/attitude/commitment to make the most of what he had. Does this make him a "tosser"? Possibly not. However, it also means he falls short of the deity that some on here think him to be. It'll be interesting to see how his time in MK turns out.
I can see where you're coming from, but I'd disagree... Don't think he lacked for drive, but in skillset. Winning headers and tackles and being difficult to play against are skills... Players that lack them can look like they're less bothered. Whenever I watched Harley, he always seemed to make an effort to get into the right defensive positions (sometimes at the cost of being effective enough at what he's good at). He was a bit too easy to go past or beat in the air though.

Bittners a Legend

I think Harley was just a bit too limited, and probably inconsistent, to succeed at a higher level. He clearly reads the game very well and is technically very good but lacks mobility and any level of pace. Probably not the strongest either. He has delivered many, many memorable moments so I will always remember him very fondly. I'm not overly disappointed to see him leave though and there are clearly some injury issues with him given the number of games he has missed in the last couple of seasons. As others have said, his best days are behind him.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can see where you're coming from, but I'd disagree... Don't think he lacked for drive, but in skillset. Winning headers and tackles and being difficult to play against are skills... Players that lack them can look like they're less bothered. Whenever I watched Harley, he always seemed to make an effort to get into the right defensive positions (sometimes at the cost of being effective enough at what he's good at). He was a bit too easy to go past or beat in the air though.
It's a free world, you can disagree. I always remember the times he tracked back and then stuck a timid toe in or just bailed out and the number of times he slowed things up, waited until everyone passed him by and then stroked it sideways

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a free world, you can disagree. I always remember the times he tracked back and then stuck a timid toe in or just bailed out and the number of times he slowed things up, waited until everyone passed him by and then stroked it sideways
Yeah, thanks... I do. Those things are about him not being a very good footballer. Easily good enough for us (in his first spell at least), though. Either way, doesn't really matter. Great memories, but he's a wasted wage with Boateng and Law in the squad.

Only surprised it has taken this long to be announced officially but good luck to Harley at MK Dons apart from against us of course. He has been a great player for us especially in the first spell but at this point of his career I can't say I am losing too much sleep over him leaving especially as we already have Law in place as a big upgrade at this stage of their respective careers.

ExeterCityLad

You’re simply wrong - Ryan could be frustratingly slow at times, but lazy he certainly wasn’t - if you watched him for the whole game he put in far more effort than some others. He was a disciplined player and that’s why Tis likes him.
I've missed very few games since he joined in 2007. Both home and away. I can probably count the matches I've missed on my hands. I'd be extremely confident I've seen him playing on the pitch for more minutes than you. So don't try and be condescending.

And he was lazy. He walked about a lot. When he was inevitably tackled he very rarely ran to retrieve the ball back. He often made very lazy passes. He had his moment of genius and was much better in his first stretch with us. But his second time around he was nothing more than a lazy has been.

fred binneys head

I've missed very few games since he joined in 2007. Both home and away. I can probably count the matches I've missed on my hands. I'd be extremely confident I've seen him playing on the pitch for more minutes than you. So don't try and be condescending.

And he was lazy. He walked about a lot. When he was inevitably tackled he very rarely ran to retrieve the ball back. He often made very lazy passes. He had his moment of genius and was much better in his first stretch with us. But his second time around he was nothing more than a lazy has been.
That’s a fair point - you’re entitled to your view and I did sound patronising. I disagree with you - whenever I watched him he was frustratingly slow at times, yes, but he was also busting a gut tracking back, defending from the front, etc. I never sensed a lack of energy or desire from him and therefore would defend him against a charge of laziness. But you’ve seen something different and have watched more games than me, so fair enough.

Spoonz Red E

At the end of season do the summer before last it was stated that the players performances were measured in various ways using GPS, video, health measurements etc.
Ryan Harley was the player who covered most ground per match.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the great moments, Ryan. All the best to you, especially when you leave your new club.

STURTZ

Sorry to see him go, he'll always be the magician to me and has made my all time City best team. Thanks for some of the best and most important goals I've ever seen Ryan, good luck.