• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Dacre Holloway

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
A very great number of good things have quite rightly been said about Dacre on this thread.

I wasn't a close friend of Dacre's and, as I have not been one to get involved in the working parties, had never spent a great deal of time with him - unlike a numer of others.

Despite that, I was always struck by several things about the man;

• His unstinting commitment to ECFC

• His willingness to work whenever needed on any job where he felt he could contribute

• His popularity with people who new him well.

One thing I never realised however is just HOW important he was to the ECFC machine. Speaking with Frances Farley a couple of nights ago, it became clear to me that the loss of Dacre will be felt massively in the day-to-day operation of both SJP and the Cat & Fiddle. Frances reeled out to me a whole host of functions that Dacre undertook and she believed that he almost certainly averaged a 60 hour week and, what's more, this as a volunteer who flatly refused to take any remuneration. On top of all that there was also, of course, Grecian Goal, which he organised and administered every year.

How do you even begin to replace that?

grecian2005

Only just found out the news and like anyone who knew him am shocked. He's a lovely guy and great to work woth during my time at ECFC who worked hard, was proactive and got results. I hope that his legacy lives on and the work is carried on.

Everything he did he did with minimal fuss and was professional. If there were more Dacre's in football than the greedy money men then everyone would benefit.

RIP

Tom

Red Lion

My personal all-time favourite finds were a bunch of someone's junk mail and tickets for the London Eye - each to their own, granted, but to leave it in the Doble Stand?!
The most horrible thing I've swept up off the BB is definitely bitten and spat out fingernails.

I used to be a regular after match cleaner upper.

However I now share a lift to home games. My mate who is good enough to drive every week doesn't want to hang around after the final whistle.

Although I drove myself and made the effort yesterday out of respect to Dacre, I think driving myself to each home match isn't financially or ecologically good

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

For the information of all who have posted on this thread and who may be interested, I have heard today that the post mortem on Dacre has apparently shown that he suffered a pulmonary embolism as a result of deep vein thrombosis in his leg which travelled to his lungs.

Considering the fact that the guy was forever on the go and I never spotted him ever sitting down or resting that seems quite astonishing.

RIP Dacre.

Poultice

Didn't know the guy and recall his somewhat ascerbic way with the words, quite possibly proof that actions do speak louder, god rest me old mate.

Oldsmobile-88

One thing I never realised however is just HOW important he was to the ECFC machine. Speaking with Frances Farley a couple of nights ago, it became clear to me that the loss of Dacre will be felt massively in the day-to-day operation of both SJP and the Cat & Fiddle. Frances reeled out to me a whole host of functions that Dacre undertook and she believed that he almost certainly averaged a 60 hour week and, what's more, this as a volunteer who flatly refused to take any remuneration. On top of all that there was also, of course, Grecian Goal, which he organised and administered every year.

How do you even begin to replace that?
You can't Pete...People like Dacre at a club like ours,are priceless.....Its the unsung hero's like Dacre(& others) who make ECFC tick...

He also had a excellent relationship with the people who dish out the safety certificate for the ground..He knew what to do,to make sure the old grandstand passed muster each year.

cameraman

Shocked. Speachless...
He helped me a lot.
RIP Dacre.

Scotty

Apologies if its been posted before but here are the funeral arrangements from the official site

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~1483364,00.html

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies if its been posted before but here are the funeral arrangements from the official site

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~1483364,00.html
Thanks Scooter Boy, I certainly hadn't seen it yet.

LL

Henryjimdix

Very sad news. Dacre was the person that sorted me out a manchester United ticket in my hour of need when I couldn't find one anywhere. Was the only time I met him but I was always grateful for that. RIP

Last edited: