• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

realistic sustainable level

tallone

After seeing 37,000 at Elland Road last night, and hearing that Norwich have 18,000 season ticket holders, it started me wondering if, given our level of support, whether we have reached our realistic top sustainable level in the football league.

The money available to both the above clubs ...and others... with their large support... makes me wonder if we can compete?... seems a lower version of the premiership in my eyes, with us as the Wigans of league 1, with Norwich and Leeds as Man U and Chelski.
Perhaps, given time, we can do a Villa/Everton and challenge on the fringes, but IMHO, I think that League 1 is the best we can hope for as a SUSTAINABLE level.

Before anyone jumps all over me for voicing this opinion...I am NOT saying we shouldn't have ambition... just that we need to be realistic about the level we can reach and SUSTAIN.

PS... Wonder who will be the first 'Tisdale Out' next season. LOL

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
After seeing 37,000 at Elland Road last night, and hearing that Norwich have 18,000 season ticket holders, it started me wondering if, given our level of support, whether we have reached our realistic top sustainable level in the football league.
Nah, we can get up with the Scum and sustain it as long as we keep the cash coming in.

Success on the pitch will enhance our ability to increase revenues, we should of course have to radically improve the ground but as long as we don't follow the Scum into chucking money at the likes of M'penza, we should be capable of emulating the likes of Donny or becoming Yoyos like Southend, Colchester and Scunny.

Leyster

spot on in my opinion alot of other clubs will have a lot more money then us however, look at bardford last year they had huge crowds and did nothin and last night millwall beating leeds shows it can be done just cos they have more money doesnt mean anythin they have to spend it wisely

Pete Martin (CTID)

Call me crazy (and many have) but I think that City could actually become trailblazers if we stick to our principles and methods of the past few years.

Many clubs and their fans want instant results and will move mountains to pay for that with no thought to sustainability. Eventually the bubble bursts and either relegation or receivership and a points deduction (or all of them) follow.

Shirley, sometime the penny will drop and more clubs will be run in a sustainable way which, imho, will only benefit those that started the trend.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Call me crazy (and many have) but I think that City could actually become trailblazers if we stick to our principles and methods of the past few years.

Many clubs and their fans want instant results and will move mountains to pay for that with no thought to sustainability. Eventually the bubble bursts and either relegation or receivership and a points deduction (or all of them) follow.

Shirley, sometime the penny will drop and more clubs will be run in a sustainable way which, imho, will only benefit those that started the trend.
I agree with crazy boy Pete. :) I can see many many more clubs going into admin within the next two years. :-#

CCC here we come [y]

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster

The money available to both the above clubs ...and others... with their large support... makes me wonder if we can compete?... seems a lower version of the premiership in my eyes, with us as the Wigans of league 1, with Norwich and Leeds as Man U and Chelski.
Perhaps, given time, we can do a Villa/Everton and challenge on the fringes, but IMHO, I think that League 1 is the best we can hope for as a SUSTAINABLE level.

Before anyone jumps all over me for voicing this opinion...I am NOT saying we shouldn't have ambition... just that we need to be realistic about the level we can reach and SUSTAIN.

PS... Wonder who will be the first 'Tisdale Out' next season. LOL
The population of Norwich at the last census was 121,000, whilst Exeter's was 111,000 - obviously not a huge difference.

I well remember playing Norwich in the old 3rd Division South, when we certainly considered ourselves as equals. The fact is that they had a few promotions, and in doing so enhanced their general standing, created a better stadium, and attracted many new fans. I see no reason why we can't do the same.

Hammer44

You only have to look at Doncaster to see what we can do. There will be a lot of pressure on the likes of Leeds and Norwich to do well next season and that sometimes doesn't help the team. City are well organised have great team spirit and great support which will go a long way next season. Anyone who gets on to Tis if we have a bad start will be Nuts.

UP THE CITY

Gozzer

I hope that L1 football will be sustainable. That will depend on ability on the pitch in the short term and ability to raise money in the longer term. CCC level is a possibility as the likes of Stockport, Colchester, Bury and Gillingham have proved recently, but these are rare exceptions. If next season turns into a horrorshow, I believe that the club will be well placed to bounce straight back.

In other words I think that the club if it remains Trust run can sustain a level somewhere around the lower part of L1 and the upper part of L2. Being Trust run has I think added to the level of hard core support of the club to some extent.

Saint James

Pete, your'e crazy - there you did ask. Seriously, imo anything is possible with the right man at the helm - look at what Fulham (or to that degree Everton) are achieving with their resources compared to their peers. The key compenent in all 3 cases is a brilliant manager.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think those are fair comparisons though. For Leeds it is an important game and not an average Saturday league fixture. It would be like taking our Wycombe and Morecombe attendances as our average. Likewise for Norwich a lot of the season ticket holders iwll be supporters wanting and expecting a swift return to the Championship. Should they fail to make it at the first attempt, this figure will dwindle I would think. Comparisons to average attendances of teams that came from the lower leagues and have sustained a championship team is more appropriate perhaps, e.g. Doncaster, Southend etc.

Of course you could argue if we struggle in League 1 this year then our season ticket sales the following season may drop. You never can tell in football.