• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Re-grouping

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
That sounds a bit like Jamie Mackie :)
Yes it does, that was never in question. The only difference is McAlinden scores goals. I know seven in nine starts doesn't quite reflect the true picture of this season (I know he made 20 odd sub appearances but the time among those wouldn't have even double it up to the equivalent of 18 starts) but you wouldn't have got that out of Mackie when he was with us. All told, you're still probably talking a one in two strike rate.

Last edited:

paperclip

Yes it does, that was never in question. The only difference is McAlinden scores goals. I know seven in nine starts doesn't quite reflect the true picture of this season (I know he made 20 odd sub appearances but the time among those wouldn't have even double it up to the equivalent of 18 starts) but you wouldn't have got that out of Mackie when he was with us. All told, you're still probably talking a one in two strike rate.
Agreed, McAlinden could prove to one of Tisdales better signings, but he will need to be given the chance to prove it. I will be very disappointed if he continues on the bench and Simpson starts ahead of him next season.

IndoMike

Agreed, McAlinden could prove to one of Tisdales better signings, but he will need to be given the chance to prove it. I will be very disappointed if he continues on the bench and Simpson starts ahead of him next season.
This season Tisdale tended to use Reid & Watkins or Simpson & Mc Alinden.

IndoMike

Don't agree Reid & McAlinden would "frighten the life out of Div 2 defenders". I like Mc, but as an impact player in the last 20-30 minutes. He still needs to improve his ball control, awareness and decision-making. IMO he is still a bit raw. Interestingly he featured very little in the last 10 games.

Last edited:

geoffwp

I like Mc, but as an impact player in the last 20-30 minutes.
Not sure I believe in players who are only impact players for last quarter of a game. Maybe it's just because that's how the manager plays him? I'd rather see McAlinden on to start and make an impact in the FIRST quarter of a match. Oh and PLEASE PLEASE keep Wheeler. I want to see teams coming to the park and feeling nervous, not ME going to the park feeling nervous.

IndoMike

Not sure I believe in players who are only impact players for last quarter of a game. Maybe it's just because that's how the manager plays him? I'd rather see McAlinden on to start and make an impact in the FIRST quarter of a match. Oh and PLEASE PLEASE keep Wheeler. I want to see teams coming to the park and feeling nervous, not ME going to the park feeling nervous.
Wheeler is very good. Top scorer and makes a few goals, too. He is great in the air and often wins the header. The problem is is there anybody around him to grab the 2nd ball? Honestly, Geoff, when I saw City play 3 games in Jan/Feb it always seemed we only had 10 players. I can't put my finger on it but I think it's something to do with the fact that we don't have a midfield terrier who can cover more space. We need a Kante Div 2 version.

grecIAN Harris

Don't agree Reid & McAlinden would "frighten the life out of Div 2 defenders". I like Mc, but as an impact player in the last 20-30 minutes. He still needs to improve his ball control, awareness and decision-making. IMO he is still a bit raw. Interestingly he featured very little in the last 10 games.
As LOG said previous, just like Jamie Mackie. Look how he went the following season. He went on that scoring run that got him to Argyle. McAlinden is already in front of him in that regard. He's already shown he knows where the back of the net is and the composure to the ball there. Mackie didn't at that stage.
Moreover, 19 goals betwen Reid and McAlinden this season. We all know it took Reid the first two or three months to reach full fitness and as I said earlier, McAlinden didn't reach double figures in starts. Reid is big, strong. His hold up play is good. McAlinden, is quick and wirey and will stretch defences around the back. The would compliment each other very well. I reckon together they would get close to doubling what they scored this season. If you've got a strikeforce like that then you've got a good foundation for success.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Play Ryan Harley centrally and further up the pitch. For much of 2016 - 2017 he has been totally wasted out wide.

Harley's main assets are creating chances and taking chances, he is rarely in a position when he can do either.

Also we need a midfielder who can put himself about with high energy levels, our central midfield this season has been very very poor, they got out of jail because the likes of Watkins, Wheeler and Reid were scoring plenty of goals.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Think McAlinden is more in the Stanno mould really, covers a lot of ground and is pacey over a short distance, Mackie was stronger and more direct with a powerful shot. McAlindens got a similar haircut I'll give you that.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only comparison between McAlinden and Mackie is they run around a bit.

McAlinden is potentially a better finisher however Mackie was streets ahead in many other aspects.