• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Randell Williams joins Exeter City from Watford

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it is not. If you analyse the accounts posted at Companies House for clubs in our division, they show that most clubs at our level lose between 500k an 2 million. As the majority do not bring in the level of transfer income that we do, the losses are being picked up by owners and boards. Covering these losses allows these clubs to continue spending at a level that is arguably not sustainable. It is this and a lack of effective regulatory governance that is creating an uneven playing field.
We have regularly lost money.

You seem to want to ignore the money the trust puts in and the amount of time volunteers provide the club with, in essence this time is money.

As I have asked you previously, provide me with a list of clubs where the owners have stumped up shed loads of cash this summer. According to you the list is long so it should be easy for you to provide.

Your approach is very naive.

Last edited:

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have regularly lost money.

You seem to want to ignore the money the trust puts in and the amount of time volunteers provide the club with, in essence this time is money.

As I have asked you previously, provide me with a list of clubs where the owners have stumped up shed loads of cash this summer. According to you the list is long.
Nope I am not ignoring it at all. I am simply responding to your assertion that there are no "sugar daddies" in our league.

In actual fact, I am no longer supportive of the way the club has financed the first team and I think we should move away from a model of applying nearly all our windfalls into the playing budget.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope I am not ignoring it at all. I am simply responding to your assertion that there are no "sugar daddies" in our league.

In actual fact, I am no longer supportive of the way the club has financed the first team and I think we should move away from a model of applying nearly all our windfalls into the playing budget.
Another one who cannot read, I never said there were no sugar daddies in our league.

ryancooper327

One of the most frustrating players we have and personally don't rate him that highly. For every good game, he has 3 poor ones.

If we banked £250k - £400k and brought in a striker and winger to replace him I would be happy.
Ah. Thought I was going to be the only one with this unpopular opinion.

Yes, his assists arguably got us to where we were and without him we wouldn’t have made play offs but his (and others) inconsistency possibly made us miss the autos. As the season went on defenders got wise and got a tackle in/forced the ball out. He definitely drifted off in the tail end of the season.

That said, we need someone to fill his assists... Key?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nonsense.
Salford for one have spent a metric shit ton of cash. If they don't get promoted this year with the money they've spent they are doing something seriously wrong.

benjisheps

Another one who cannot read, I never said there were no sugar daddies in our league.
Both of you have valid points here.
While many in League Two may not be splashing the cash their owners are putting money in to offset their losses of Covid-19.
For every club that is probably at least £500,000-£750,000 so far.
Without our player sales we would not have been able to cope.

however; there are some clubs who have invested heavily this year by either signing new players or resigning the vast majority of their current players.
Based upon transfer activity I would list the following:
Bolton
Carlisle
Forest Green
Mansfield
Port Vale
Salford
Tranmere

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Salford for one have spent a metric **** ton of cash. If they don't get promoted this year with the money they've spent they are doing something seriously wrong.
1 club out of 24.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both of you have valid points here.
While many in League Two may not be splashing the cash their owners are putting money in to offset their losses of Covid-19.
For every club that is probably at least £500,000-£750,000 so far.
Without our player sales we would not have been able to cope.

however; there are some clubs who have invested heavily this year by either signing new players or resigning the vast majority of their current players.
Based upon transfer activity I would list the following:
Bolton
Carlisle
Forest Green
Mansfield
Port Vale
Salford
Tranmere
I would say the genuine biggish spenders on that list are Bolton, Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford. Forest Green have lost some good players though.

i8cornwall

I would say the genuine biggish spenders on that list are Bolton, Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford. Forest Green have lost some good players though.
Bolton are under a transfer embargo still so not really splashing the cash but I get what you mean.

We only had 7 players come the end of the season as well which adds to why they have signed almost 18 new players this summer, most of whom are on one year deals.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Facebook in meltdown over our lack of ambition
Whats Facebook?