• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poppies

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your original post did not even hint that it was a SINGLE ITN newsreader (who, btw, because I don't general follow the news on ITN)
You implied "lefties" generally in the plurality in your reference.
Nevertheless life is too short for "feuding and fighting my friend" - I'm sure that "we can work it out"...or, at least, should've able to?
Your clarification (if not "apology") is duly noted.

IndoMike

It is sad that Tavyred chooses to poiiticise this issue, especially when he criticizes others for politicising it. It's very hypocritical, Tavy.
In the end, as others have stated, we are (supposed to be) a free country, where people are free to make their own choices.
It is indeed what our forefathers (and foremothers) fought for.
Wearing a poppy is an individual choice. n
Not wearing one is not a sign of disrespect. Nobody should be made to feel a lesser person or feel pressured to wear a poppy, but I'm sure many do wear one for those reasons.
Remembrance Day in itself a reminder to everyone the sacrifices our armed forces made. There are many other ways people can choose to remember
My dad did 2 tours of duty as a member of a Lancaster crew. I can't remember if he wore a poppy, but I know he'd have told anyone who hassled him about it to sod off..

tavyred

Your original post did not even hint that it was a SINGLE ITN newsreader (who, btw, because I don't general follow the news on ITN)
You implied "lefties" generally in the plurality in your reference.
Nevertheless life is too short for "feuding and fighting my friend" - I'm sure that "we can work it out"...or, at least, should've able to?
Your clarification (if not "apology") is duly noted.
No apology is being offered G2k. :)
I rhetorically wrote in the plural but was referencing a single newsreader. It’s a common thing to in discussions/arguments. It’s a bit like saying that Germany has a problem with far right leaders, when in fact they have had only one, a rhetorical flourish if you like.

To Mike,
I’m actually remarkably sanguine about the wearing of the poppy, my irritation is when those who choose not to wear it cite political reasons for not doing so and my irritation with the ITN newsreader is that she IMO made up the reason for not wearing it.
The poppy transcends politics as you quite rightly say.

IndoMike

No apology is being offered G2k. :)
I rhetorically wrote in the plural but was referencing a single newsreader. It’s a common thing to in discussions/arguments. It’s a bit like saying that Germany has a problem with far right leaders, when in fact they have had only one, a rhetorical flourish if you like.

To Mike,
I’m actually remarkably sanguine about the wearing of the poppy, my irritation is when those who choose not to wear it cite political reasons for not doing so and my irritation with the ITN newsreader is that she IMO made up the reason for not wearing it.
The poppy transcends politics as you quite rightly say.
Yes, it is a common mistake which we all make by generalising. But we must remember that generalising can be an expression of racism and various other phobias and -isms. If a person goes to Italy and is robbed we can't then say all Italians are thieves.
I confess I often generalise on our political threads when saying the Tories are this and the Tories are that. Not all Tories are this or that (... just most of 'em 😄).
Regarding the poppy : yes, politics should not be involved

Stelios

Lest we forget. To find new ways to make the poppy appear more ridiculous year on year.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
For all those attending a Service of Remembrance today hopefully you have a mild dry day.

DB9

For all those attending a Service of Remembrance today hopefully you have a mild dry day.
Went to mine locally here in Eastleigh, A very good turnout and the two minute silence observed very respectfully, Seeing the dwindling numbers of veterans from WW2 makes you think this needs to kept going as there will always be veterans because as humans we never learn. "We will remember them"

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Went to mine locally here in Eastleigh, A very good turnout and the two minute silence observed very respectfully, Seeing the dwindling numbers of veterans from WW2 makes you think this needs to kept going as there will always be veterans because as humans we never learn. "We will remember them"
We were at Bletchley Park. An important part of the secrets war against the Germans, Italians and the Japanese.

Oldsmobile-88

We were at Bletchley Park. An important part of the secrets war against the Germans, Italians and the Japanese.
A interesting place..On my visit about 15 years ago one of the group that was I was walking around with had served at Bletchley during WW2.
A real bonus talking to someone who worked there during those days.

Avening Posse

They are actually quite hard to buy in Oz, we managed to pick some up outside Bunnings (think B&Q) yesterday which I was very happy about......and promptly forgot to wear it today...DOH !