• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poor parking

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
And in steady traffic where you are overtaking regularly?

Or on a single carriageway?

I find easing off the accelerator and blowing them a kiss tends to turn them a different shade of purple.

There is always the opportunity to move over, or if on a single carriageway, slow right down and let them overtake. Antagonising them only makes the situation worse.

My backside is far too precious. :$

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
And in steady traffic where you are overtaking regularly?

Or on a single carriageway?

I find easing off the accelerator and blowing them a kiss tends to turn them a different shade of purple.
That works for me too.

Back to parking, did you find said contractor and tell him to park properly? I have been known to point out cr@p parking if the driver is about.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No, he was long gone. I did think about telling Security, but couldn't be bothered, they should find out themselves when they do their regular checks of the car park to ensure only vehicles with valid permits should be parked there. Etc.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two car parks visited today and didn't spot any dodgy parking.

Although this is taking it off topic. I went in to morrisons petrol station and all pumps had 2 cars waiting behind the car at the pump. There was one that had no one by it. Nothing to say the pump wasn't working and although it meant I was on the wrong side for the petrol cap, I never find it a problem reaching round.

Why do so many drivers not like pulling up at a pump if it means they are on the wrong side? Seems silly.

Antony Moxey

Two car parks visited today and didn't spot any dodgy parking.

Although this is taking it off topic. I went in to morrisons petrol station and all pumps had 2 cars waiting behind the car at the pump. There was one that had no one by it. Nothing to say the pump wasn't working and although it meant I was on the wrong side for the petrol cap, I never find it a problem reaching round.

Why do so many drivers not like pulling up at a pump if it means they are on the wrong side? Seems silly.
That is a classic Shabba - I do exactly the same as you all the time. The thing that really annoys me at petrol stations is when the person at the front is queuing such that it blocks everyone because they're waiting for the first pump to become available. Why not just pick a pump and queue behind that, it's not like you're going to be stuck there for hours, you'll be a couple of minutes at most whereas the plum that blocks everyone off just builds up a massive queue behind him meaning everyone's stuck for ages.

Antony Moxey

As for the tailgater, they give themselves no margin for error and cannot make judgements on what is happening ahead of them on the road. What if the car in front is forced to brake suddenly? Crash, they are through the back of the car in front, probably writing off the car and possibly writing off the driver and their passengers (and who would usually bear the brunt of the impact? Yes, it's the little kiddies in the back seat).
That's a bit of an assumption to make - is your car made of biscuits or something, or is every tailgater going be slamming into your stationary car at 70mph?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
That is a classic Shabba - I do exactly the same as you all the time. The thing that really annoys me at petrol stations is when the person at the front is queuing such that it blocks everyone because they're waiting for the first pump to become available. Why not just pick a pump and queue behind that, it's not like you're going to be stuck there for hours, you'll be a couple of minutes at most whereas the plum that blocks everyone off just builds up a massive queue behind him meaning everyone's stuck for ages.
Yup that happens at the other Morrisons a lot, doesn't help that the forecourt is quite close to the roundabout, then you end up backing up onto the roundabout. Chuffing idiots.

It's not just women, before Greasy pipes up.

Also, someone ranted about why do people go to pay at pump but still go in and pay for it, up until a few week ago that puzzled me, but when I tried to use my card at both Tesco and Morrison's pay at pump, it wouldn't work. Plenty of money in account and then used card inside. Rang the bank and apparently the debit card for my account, which is the same as any other debit card, can't be used at certain pay at pumps. When I asked why, they couldn't give me an explanation. So although that might not be why everyone does it, but it might be why some people do it.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bit of an assumption to make - is your car made of biscuits or something, or is every tailgater going be slamming into your stationary car at 70mph?
I have a small car, I'd rather not test the capability of its rear crumple zones. How quickly do you react to the car in front's brake lights coming on? And have you noticed the concertina effect of a car braking and the cars behind closing up before braking - thus illustrating the reaction time of people in following cars. How do you know your brakes are sharper than those of the car in front?

A 2-second gap is envisaged between cars, and is something I try to adhere to.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are a lot of people forcing normal drivers to crash into them for insurance claims, which is more annoying.

Antony Moxey

I have a small car, I'd rather not test the capability of its rear crumple zones. How quickly do you react to the car in front's brake lights coming on? And have you noticed the concertina effect of a car braking and the cars behind closing up before braking - thus illustrating the reaction time of people in following cars. How do you know your brakes are sharper than those of the car in front?

A 2-second gap is envisaged between cars, and is something I try to adhere to.
Small car does not necessarily equal weak car, and just because someone is tailgating you does not necessarily mean "they are through the back of the car in front, probably writing off the car and possibly writing off the driver and their passengers".