• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

It's unbelievable that only 2000 medical staff have been tested for Corona so far. After two and a half months! It's crucial that they get tested in order that they don"t self isolate if they're ok . For Christ sake can"t the Govt get their head around this. We need tens of thousands of tests per day !

Oldsmobile-88

It's unbelievable that only 2000 medical staff have been tested for Corona so far. After two and a half months! It's crucial that they get tested in order that they don"t self isolate if they're ok . For Christ sake can"t the Govt get their head around this. We need tens of thousands of tests per day !
Aye...Ancillary workers in the NHS without whom the whole organisation would grind to a complete halt are not tested either...Many are told to self isolate for certain symptoms which are probably not Covid19,as happened to my partner this morning.

Alistair20000

Think Ali is batting on a sticky wicket defending the banks. They were indeed bailed out by the taxpayer, who got little thanks for it. Years of bending regulations, rogue dealers, inflated bonuses for giving out loans to those who could hardly afford to pay back, fat cat bonuses .. skit of dodgy dealings. Even Lloyds Bank farking up poor old Noel Edmonds. Banks have got the morals of a Siberian tiger (as have insurance companies and a horde of big businesses. Capitalism stinks. Always has.
I am not defending the Banks. Just pointing out that welfare should be delivered by government and not particular businesses. If Elgy is correct that the Banks are on little risk in lending with the 80% government guarantee then go the whole yard and guarantee 100% and tell the Banks to do no due diligence, require no security, no personal guarantee and no interest. Simples.

Capitalism might stink but it has delivered more wealth for most in society compared with all the other systems that have been tried. Would you rather live in Russia, China, Venezuela etc ?

P.S. Do you pay United Kingdom taxes Indo ?

IndoMike

I am not defending the Banks. Just pointing out that welfare should be delivered by government and not particular businesses. If Elgy is correct that the Banks are on little risk in lending with the 80% government guarantee then go the whole yard and guarantee 100% and tell the Banks to do no due diligence, require no security, no personal guarantee and no interest. Simples.

Capitalism might stink but it has delivered more wealth for most in society compared with all the other systems that have been tried. Would you rather live in Russia, China, Venezuela etc ?

P.S. Do you pay United Kingdom taxes Indo ?
1.Your last question is of the same ilk as "Are you a Trust member?" There is an agenda behind the question. Sorry, but...
2. Russia is capitalist. China 50-50
Venezuela is just nuts (and God help the people who get Coronavirus there)
3. I already said capitalism stinks and so do the alternatives, so no need to mention the alternatives or to ask me if I would like to live there . Not logical.
4. Capitalism provides untold wealth for a select few. There has always been progress no matter what political system is applied and the standard of living in most countries
Is better now than before, no matter the political system.
Are people happier now that they have some of the fruits of the capitalist/materialistic society compared to 60 years ago? I doubt it.

Alistair20000

As regards question 1, no particular agenda. Just interested like.

Alistair20000

Dear Indo

As regards Question 4 as you are an assiduous reader of the Guardian I am surprised you did not quote this. Unless of course you have evidence based argument to throw back at the author.

IndoMike

Aye...Ancillary workers in the NHS without whom the whole organisation would grind to a complete halt are not tested either...Many are told to self isolate for certain symptoms which are probably not Covid19,as happened to my partner this morning.
Hope your partner is ok, Olds

IndoMike

Dear Indo

As regards Question 4 as you are an assiduous reader of the Guardian I am surprised you did not quote this. Unless of course you have evidence based argument to throw back at the author.

Just seen your post at 4.45 a.m. Woke up but will go back to sleep again. Will reply later

Oldsmobile-88

Hope your partner is ok, Olds
Ok at the moment thanks Mike.
She is in her own place because of working at the hospital.I have to take her mum to the Drs once a week.I stay at mine so I can’t pick up anything from the hospital via her which would affect her mum.

Crazy that she(& many others) can not have a test.They have asked.
Its making staff there very stressed.

IndoMike

Ok at the moment thanks Mike.
She is in her own place because of working at the hospital.I have to take her mum to the Drs once a week.I stay at mine so I can’t pick up anything from the hospital via her which would affect her mum.

Crazy that she(& many others) can not have a test.They have asked.
Its making staff there very stressed.
I'm glad she's OK.
You know I've been banging on about Johnson and Hancock for weeks. They haven't been able to organise our reaction to the virus. It is a scandal that the doctors and nurses and auxiliary workers don't have enough PPE and completely negligent that they have not been tested. Their obfuscation makes it worse.