• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Spin Doctoring" goes back beyond Prime Minister Bliar.
Even the Sainted Thatcher had Bernard Ingham as her 'go-to-boy' when it came to media management. And the ignoble "art" doubtless goes much further even than that...didn't Harold have Marcia to try an opress the press?
Although, as far as spin doctors are concerned not even Cum-Mings can hold a candle to the magnificent Malcolm Tucker.
Whereas Trump is his own spin doctor

Grecian2K

Don't fret Jinxy. Surely the Daily Excess is still adequately anti-EU to sate your "balanced" political diet? (Or even the Snoreaway Sun)

Grecian2K

I've learned to be patient.
He's such a child. Never comments on what you actually say: just a generalized childish poor attempt at a put down. The reason is of course he doesn't have an argument.
Ah, the good old "distraction" technique...straight from the right-wing neo-con playbook.

IndoMike

Ah, the good old "distraction" technique...straight from the right-wing neo-con playbook.
Yes. Avoiding the issue. It seems to be in vogue nowadays, G2K

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stuffy
I just don't share your view that France and Germany are out for European domination.
I don't feel concerned about that at all. And even if it were true, wouldn't it be better for us to be on the inside than outside looking in? Yes, they are both comparatively powerful, but that's the natural order of things. The mere fact that they both want to stay in the EU indicates to me that they want to work in a partnership with other nations.
I'm not fearful of Japan either, by the way : I think it's an admirable country now.
For me any threats come from China and it's attempts to control Eastern Asia both economically and militarily and Russia, which was humiliated after Afghanistan and the break - up of the Soviet Union and wants to get back the Baltic countries.
China is very worrying : Russia less so, but it will do it's best to be a thorn In our shoes
and to destabilise those Baltic countries
Regarding China Mike, I you're right to be concerned about China's muscle flexing but I think that affair is very much the American's concern them being the world's policeman. Of course we could supply naval support with frigates and destroyers to act as goalkeepers (sit down Pete) to protect the US aircraft carriers from air or seaborne attack. Of course if China's surface fleet sets sail then RN hunter-killer subs could be lurking.

I think you are wrong about what France and Germany's aims are. For well over 2 years I've said what I think those two are up to and I believe things will shortly come clearer when Von der Leyen makes her maiden speech on taking over from Juncker on the 1st of November. You may recall I've spoken on many occasions about Nexter Systems SA, the armaments manufacturer which is wholly owned by the French Government and Germany's Krauss-Maffei, the builder of the leopard main battle tank and other mechanised battlefield equipment joining forces in a nice and cozy club. Those two are already designing a new tank which the say will earn them over 40bn euros, plus the French are designing a fighter that will be in direct competition to the Lockheed F35. You might remember me saying that when the Luftwaffe expressed an interest in the F35 Von der Leyen turned them down because of the French plane.

I believe there is an EU rule that allows member states to buy their military equipment from whom they choose, however, I can see that rule being dropped and 'all' EU states being compelled to comply with a 'standardisation' which will mean that most equipment being bought in-house when possible. Naturally our Franco/German chums will cream off the bulk of the contracts and if they ever get into the position where they can choose who has what and who goes without then the EU becomes a fiefdom under their control. Let us wait and see what Ursula has to say come November.

Alistair20000

Not really. You'll find I generally prefer the use of the words "might", "may", "could" etc.

Mike on the other had prefers "will" as if it is all definitely going to happen. How the heck does he know?:

"The UK will become a Championship League team"
"We will be the Stoke City of the world"
"we will have to beg for trade"
"The big powers will ignore us"
"few will want to buy from us"
I would not get too hot and bothered about Indo’s perdictions Jinxster.

Have a look at the Beat The Bookie thread leaderboard to check out his credentials 🤣 🤣 🤣

Alistair20000

"Will" is a standard modal verb used when making predictions
"I think City will beat Scunthorpe".
But I don't need to keep saying "I think....." because it's clearly my opinion.
As a patriot I'm proud of the English language and feel it's a pity that more people don't understand it.
I hesitate to offer you advice on our beautiful language Indo but it seems to me that if you used may in place of will it would read a whole lot better. Would save typing in an extra letter too.

Just a polite suggestion like.

dontpassback

The EU have been intracient in their negotiations because in my view if the U.K. leaves and prospers,then others will want to follow and they won’t want that.The fact that three years down the road the negotiations haven’t moved on speaks a s much about the EU as much as it does about the U.K.Where we go from here,who knows ?

Alistair20000

"Spin Doctoring" goes back beyond Prime Minister Bliar.
Even the Sainted Thatcher had Bernard Ingham as her 'go-to-boy' when it came to media management. And the ignoble "art" doubtless goes much further even than that...didn't Harold have Marcia to try an opress the press?
Although, as far as spin doctors are concerned not even Cum-Mings can hold a candle to the magnificent Malcolm Tucker.
I thought Marcia supplied the slippery Wilson with additional services ?

IndoMike

I would not get too hot and bothered about Indo’s perdictions Jinxster.

Have a look at the Beat The Bookie thread leaderboard to check out his credentials 🤣 🤣 🤣
I predicted I wouldn't win it, and I was correct. 😁