• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair to the DUP (and it's something I warned of many pages ago) the Boris plan re: the customs border looks to me to be a lot like the plan that was drawn up at Chequers and which caused Boris to resign as Foreign Sec in the first place. And is a worse outcome IMO than the backstop.
But you'll still support it because it is Conservative policy? And what of the ERG who only recently were saying "There's lots of things about May's deal we fundamentally object to, not just the backstop" - are they going all soft on us?

arthur

Morning art, How’s it hanging ?

I rather fear that not that many folk are as assiduous readers of the weighty tomes of Marx and Engels as you appear to be. I must confess I found them crashingly boring.

The word “lumpen” has taken on a modern definition that includes thick, poorly educated, common
inferior, low life. For that reason I decline to use the word in referring to anyone at all.
Morning Al, Good to see you. I agree with you entirely. Although I offer more resistance than most to words "taking on modern definitions", even though I realise such resistance is usually futile. Where do you stand on crescendo?

arthur

PS. Excuse my ignorance, but why are all the legal challenges made to the Scottish courts first?
Don't know Mike. Maybe one day when we're all tucked up in bed you could do some research for us

IndoMike

Don't know Mike. Maybe one day when we're all tucked up in bed you could do some research for us
I'm lazier than a sloth, Arthur, but I'll do my best, despite the huge responsibility.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Since when has it been the EU's responsibility to sort out a British issue?
I didn't realise borders were one way.

Suggestions have been made, including by the EU's own customs expert, that could have sorted it pretty much from day one.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
But you'll still support it because it is Conservative policy? And what of the ERG who only recently were saying "There's lots of things about May's deal we fundamentally object to, not just the backstop" - are they going all soft on us?
I just want the flipping thing done and dusted.

Some of the ERG lot (and I'm looking particularly at Andrew Bridgen here, someone I think is a stain on our party) need a healthy dose of reality.

arthur

I just want the flipping thing done and dusted.

Some of the ERG lot (and I'm looking particularly at Andrew Bridgen here, someone I think is a stain on our party) need a healthy dose of reality.
Yes, Bridgen is insufferable - you have my sympathy in having to accommodate him. Given your "done and dusted" aspiration, how do you see 2020 panning out, given that there will only be 11 months before the transition period ends to negotiate and ratify a free trade deal and address all the outstanding issue not covered in the withdrawal agreement?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Bridgen is insufferable - you have my sympathy in having to accommodate him. Given your "done and dusted" aspiration, how do you see 2020 panning out, given that there will only be 11 months before the transition period ends to negotiate and ratify a free trade deal and address all the outstanding issue not covered in the withdrawal agreement?
Personally I'd say we need to reset the transition period clock and set it to two years. That should then be ample time to sort out the outstanding issues (including the technical solutions for the Irish border). IMO we should have the basis for a comprehensive FTA already in place with just the negotiations over the finer details to follow. Of course, we don't *have* to have a FTA with the EU, but I would prefer that we did, natch.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I think my fellow remainers have been a touch harsh on @Devon Red.

Whilst I might not agree on the details of his points, it is only fair to admit that they are, to a certain extent, important points. The EU is certainly not the land of honey, but it is a sweeter choice, IMHO, than the alternatives.

I can acknowledge that doing our own trade deals will likely mean that we are able to better tailor them to the UK's own needs, rather than the bloc, but the flip side is that the costs of what we give in return are likely higher.

I also hugely enjoy @DB9's contributions, even if he does get blown about a bit by the wind. He is a perfect example of a sensible, middle of the road voter, with no particular allegiance to either leave or remain. He is not the person either side should be critical of, but a perfect example of the type of person that needs to be brought on board.

Last edited:

DB9

I think my fellow remainers have been a touch harsh on @Devon Red.

Whilst I might not agree on the details of his points, it is only fair to admit that they are, to a certain extent, important points. The EU is certainly not the land of honey, but it is a sweeter choice, IMHO, than the alternatives.

I can acknowledge that doing our own trade deals will likely mean that we are able to better tailor them to the UK's own needs, rather than the bloc, but the flip side is that the costs of what we give in return are likely higher.

I also hugely enjoy @DB9's contributions, even if he does get blown about a bit by the wind. He is a perfect example of a sensible, middle of the road voter, with no particular allergens allegiance to either leave our remain. He is not the person either side should be critical of, but a perfect example of the type of person that needs to be brought on board.
Thing is sometimes the Leavers say or do something and I roll my eyes and then the remainers do the same and I again roll my eyes, That is what it has been like for me over the last 3+ years. There is a positive and a negative to this Brexit, Negative is it's still a basket case, Positive it has engaged people in politics which for me can only be a good thing