• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Players under contract until 2024

tom_ecfc

Which players are likely to sign a contract extension beyond the end of 2024?

sign of the chimes

I wonder why clubs don't insert an option clause in their favour more frequently then, because you either trigger it if it suits you and don't if it doesn't.
Presumably some players/agents won't agree to it during contract negotiations?
Apologies for the somewhat tardy reply Bridgy ;-) but, yes, exactly that. Much of the business my club has done this summer has involved bringing in players on two or three year deals with a club option of an additional year. As a relatively big fish in L1 we seem to be able to get those sorts of deals concluded.

However, arguably our best signing so far from the past window was the only one who came in on a straight two-year deal - he was someone who'd left his previous club anticipating a move to the Championship, I think. If/when we don't go up this season and said player has a good season I'd not be surprised to see him sold as we should get a half-decent fee. If not, barring acts of God, he'll be able to command a decent contract elsewhere the following summer.

We've also had a few who we've had options on, but where the optional year is on much more (i.e. bottom end Championship) money than the standard contract - again, all part of the negotiations; but effectively it becomes a distressed sale in terms of the fee as the club has no intention of paying an individual who can leave for free the following summer significantly more than their teammates.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder why clubs don't insert an option clause in their favour more frequently then, because you either trigger it if it suits you and don't if it doesn't.
Presumably some players/agents won't agree to it during contract negotiations?
Another tardy reply! Because the contract has two parties (club and player) and what is an advantage to one is a downside to the other. If it doesn't work out the player is released , great for the club but insecure for the player. Conversely if he does well the club can compel the player to stay by exercising the option - again good for the club but the player might have wanted to take bigger wage offers elsewhere.

So yes, an option in favour of the club is great for the club, but you need to get the player and agent to agree to its downsides for them.