• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Players under contract until 2024

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We now have a really impressive core of players under contract for another couple of years. I've probably missed someone but I think this is the latest list.

Jake Caprice
Tim Dieng
Harry Kite
Alex Hartridge
Sam Nombe
Kyle Taylor

Cheick Diabate
has an option to extend his contract from 2023
Archie Collins extended his contract but wasn't mentioned how long for.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I missed the announcement re the length of Cheick's contract - where did you see that?

Interesting that MT's principal gripe after taking over was finding out that there were players on 3 year deals (including ones MT didn't rate)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I missed the announcement re the length of Cheick's contract - where did you see that?

Interesting that MT's principal gripe after taking over was finding out that there were players on 3 year deals (including ones MT didn't rate)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

I think Tisdale gave Tilson a 5 year deal :unsure:

Bridgy 81

We now have a really impressive core of players under contract for another couple of years. I've probably missed someone but I think this is the latest list.

Jake Caprice
Tim Dieng
Harry Kite
Alex Hartridge
Sam Nombe
Kyle Taylor

Cheick Diabate
has an option to extend his contract from 2023
Archie Collins extended his contract but wasn't mentioned how long for.
I’ve looked back on the article where Cheick’s contract was reported.
It says the club has an option for a further year after 2023.
I don’t really understand what that means. Presumably we can trigger it, if we want? and I imagine we will.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t really understand what that means. Presumably we can trigger it, if we want? and I imagine we will.
Exactly that.

andrew p long

Yep, that's right. Such options are not uncommon. Players signing for big money at say 21 for top teams sometimes have a four year contract with a club option for 5th year. Frequently that gets triggered by the club mainly so they can then sell the player on with time left on his contract rather than risk losing him for nothing at the expiry of the contract. Sometimes the option can only be triggered by an accompanying big wage increase.

The terms of the option are interesting and can vary. There has been a sad episode at Swansea this season. In the summer 30 year old Jamie Patterson had been released elsewhere and was without a club. He signed a 1 year deal to join Swansea, but with a club option for a second year. He had a great first half of the season and other clubs were interested in signing him for a (fairly chunky) fee and a big wage packet. Unsurprisingly Swansea triggered the second year under the option. Patterson and/or his agent wrongly assumed he'd get a big pay rise, but the option was at the same wages as his first year. Patterson became very upset (in quite a serious way), other clubs bid for him but Swansea turned down the money they were offered. Fortunately he has , post deadline day, returned to the match day squad.

I suspect we will seek to further extend Diabate's contract in the summer to beyond 2024. But the option gives us the comfort that this doesn't need to be rushed. An extension until 2023 without the option would have left us a bit vulnerable this summer.

(player options also exist - usually based on appearances made. Sometimes a player becomes entitled to a further year -if he wants it- by playing 25 games during the previous season)

simcity

Yep, that's right. Such options are not uncommon. Players signing for big money at say 21 for top teams sometimes have a four year contract with a club option for 5th year. Frequently that gets triggered by the club mainly so they can then sell the player on with time left on his contract rather than risk losing him for nothing at the expiry of the contract.
This is what we did with Ryan Bowman, triggered the option in January 2021 to extend his contract until the end of this season so we could get a fee for him this summer rather than letting him go on a free!

Bridgy 81

I wonder why clubs don't insert an option clause in their favour more frequently then, because you either trigger it if it suits you and don't if it doesn't.
Presumably some players/agents won't agree to it during contract negotiations?

STURTZ

After several lashed efforts that was a composed finish from Sparkes to win it.