• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

play off final or automatic promotion?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely you drink at the Globe in Baker Street? That seems to be where the party is at before the tube to Wembley.
Yep..I may have been there,certainly went into a decent boozer with the RaWZ crew around that area to meet Grimsby Les a few years ago before going to their playoff final against the Gasheads a few seasons ago.

Alistair20000

Absolutely agree. Wembley is a concrete pit and I dislike the place intensely. The entire play off shebang is just a way to fund the stadium and the FA. It should be top four up. If that was the case we wouldn't even be concerned about Wycombe.
Instead we would be concerned about Notts County, Lincoln and Coventry.

I agree that if you have a league with a final table based over a whole season then it ought to be the top four and no play offs.

Oldsmobile-88

I agree that if you have a league with a final table based over a whole season then it ought to be the top four and no play offs.
My thoughts entirely.

The play-offs were voted in at the FL AGM in 1986 after attendance figures had been in serious decline for over a decade they were a way off gaining interest & crowd numbers up.The game changing off the field & money flowing from other sources mean gate numbers are less critical now.

We have a possible senario of a team in 7th spot in the National League gaining a place in the Football League.

ExeterCityLad

Yep..I may have been there,certainly went into a decent boozer with the RaWZ crew around that area to meet Grimsby Les a few years ago before going to their playoff final against the Gasheads a few seasons ago.
The Globe at Baker Street is definitely the one to be at. Although Blackpool fans took it over last year when we played them. They watched the match there as well. It was heaving throughout the entire game, with orange shirts everywhere!

The pub outside Liverpool Street is also another good one to drink at on a Wembley day. I don't know many people who drink at the pubs local to Wembley on a football day. Too busy and too expensive.

IndoMike

The idea of the playoffs as you know is to keep more clubs interested and with something to play for near the end of the season, so in effect at the moment theoretically 8 or 9 clubs still have a chance. It is true that situation could arise anyway - even if just fighting for 4th place. I don't have a problem with the play=off system per se, but some will say it is unfair that the team finishing in 7th place could get promoted while the team in 4th place did not : it is a league after all, not a cup with one-off matches.

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Auto's every time. If it was Wembley, a good place for a pint are pubs on Marylebone High St, an easy walk from Baker St, but less crowded and better beer

Red Bill

Autos please. Can't make any of the play off dates this year.

ExeterCityLad

It would make the season rather boring for the majority of clubs. Too many clubs with nothing to play for in the last 1-2 months. At least with the play offs, a lot of mid table sides still have hope of reaching them.

EDIT - Just seen Mike has pretty much already said this above.

Last edited:

Avening Posse

It would make the season rather boring for the majority of clubs. Too many clubs with nothing to play for in the last 1-2 months. At least with the play offs, a lot of mid table sides still have hope of reaching them.
Agree..........

Terryhall

I'd rather go up automatically, Morecambe and Blackpool have scarred me. Plus it's tough to find a bar over here willing to show the game, it usually clashes with the GAA matches so the usual irish pubs that would show the game are showing something else instead.