• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Phoning and driving

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anybody take this seriously? Yesterday I was passed by three cars in a row with the driver on the phone. The first one nearly hit me before swerving out of the way just in time and just missing a parked car in doing so. There is no way that you can drive a car properly while holding your phone in one hand. Its now a criminal offence, but how is it ever going to get enforced?

Scooterboy 65

Yes never do it same for texting.

Red the Paper

Banned
The problem has been created by our work culture. We expect to speak to anybody at any time even when they are driving. I have a proper in car phone but that is buggered (ie I can hear them but they can't hear me) so I no longer take calls in the car. I recall on many occasions saying I am in the car driving and the caller saying OK, I won't keep you long.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
People on the phone, and people on iPods while driving are two particular bugbears of mine.

CITY CASUAL

Yes never do it same for texting.
Same as geeze.I am a crap driver anyway.So i need to consentrate on my driving.Let alone phoning & texting at the same time.

DrDeath

Well-known Exeweb poster
Arent the penalties quiet lenient if caught?

How about an automatic 1 year driving ban and £2000 fine for starters to discourage any irresponsible morons using Phone whilst driving.

Gozzer

How about an automatic 1 year driving ban and £2000 fine for starters to discourage any irresponsible morons using Phone whilst driving.
Sure Doc, but the trouble is catching them...

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Far too easy to do it that one time, get spotted and be landed with a fine and 6 points so I either ignore the thing or pull over. Mostly though I don't hear the thing :D

One thing that's really annoying me is the numpties who pull over to the hard shoulder on the motorway to take a phonecall. C*cks the lot of them

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th

oh the calls of; "just another tax on the poor motorist" can be heard already :mad:

Yes more stringent heavier penalties are needed; however hard to enforce same as speeding; can't have police on every stretch of road. However if penalties were far greater people would think twice about doing it. Speeding & phoning/texting should incur at least the above. Cause an accident whilst doing it; charge the tw*ts with attempted manslaughter; kill someone; do them for murder; they've used their vehicle as a weapon in my book.

Banksy

'Cause an accident whilst doing it; charge the tw*ts with attempted manslaughter; kill someone; do them for murder; they've used their vehicle as a weapon in my book.'

Agree entirely. I let someone pull out from a side road last week , didn't realise the stupid **** was on his phone , he swerved out and then continued to use the phone on the roundabout ahead with cars all around him. Age is no barrier , he was no youngster. It happens , we now have a culture where everyone walks around with a phone glued to their ear , it's like a drug. Seems most of the time drivers only get caught when they kill someone and the police check the phone for texting etc.Apart from banning the carrying of phones in cars apart from keeping one in the dash for emergencies don't know what can be done about it apart from say banning everyone found using one whilst driving ten years to really hammer the message home.