• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Phoning and driving

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
I currently use a bluetooth hands free kit built into the car.

I've always had it on the list of requirements when I look at a car, but the evidence is now pointing towards those who are simply on the phone (even hands free) are a danger to other road users; so I might not be that arsed if my next car doesn't have it.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
True that, more distracting than talking to a passenger as someone on the phone can't alter the conversation according to road conditions. For example someone in the passenger seat will know to shut up when on a slip road to a motorway, bloke on phone won't know :)

TheManFromDelMonte.

He wears his hat whilst driving. [y]

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anybody take this seriously? Yesterday I was passed by three cars in a row with the driver on the phone. The first one nearly hit me before swerving out of the way just in time and just missing a parked car in doing so. There is no way that you can drive a car properly while holding your phone in one hand. Its now a criminal offence, but how is it ever going to get enforced?
Pick up the pieces of an accident of some one who was using their phone whilst driving and see if you should take it serious

angelic upstart

Does anyone know any statistics on phone related accidents in comparison to accidents overall and other types of distraction?

I have looked but can't find almost any of these figures.

mammooman

Drivers on the phone annoy me, for obvious reasons, but another is drivers who have an inability to understand road signage and just listen to Mr or Mrs Sat Nav.

There is a roundabout I need to use everyday and I approach it with so much caution. It's on a dual carriageway which doesnt help and the main road takes the 2nd exit (3 o clock), the road signs state that both lanes can be used, left lane is exit left and straight on with the right hand left straight on only, yet people queue up to get in the right hand lane, then cut across into the left after using the roundabout thinking that no one will be there. Its a simple f'ing diagram and map on a sign for f's sake.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Does anyone know any statistics on phone related accidents in comparison to accidents overall and other types of distraction?

I have looked but can't find almost any of these figures.
They tend not to keep them AU.

There's a standard format used by police forces and local authorities when recording accident statistics.

There is no category with respect to mobile phone use.

It would probably come under the "inattentive" banner.

TheManFromDelMonte.

He asks......................is there a category called "was wearing a hat"? [n]

Swanaldo

I would look them up, but I'm driving at the moment.