• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pensions

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I love pensions, me.
Are you in the pensions industry Lionel ?

Not as an over remunerated salesperson of course.

LOG

Live and breathe it, Al. They're the financial services equivalent of rock and roll.

And, no, i am not a salesperson.

angelic upstart

Ask Gordon Brown.
I think it goes back a lot further than Gordy Isca, la.

elginCity

Why do so few consider their retirement options and plan for their futures?
they’ll be thinking new kitchen, flash motor or Caribbean cruise rather than, if I take this now will I be able to live off State benefits when I actually do retire and have no other income?
Many agree with Janis Joplin, I guess.... "I'd rather have 10 years of super-hyper-most than live to be 70 sitting in some goddam chair watching TV" :D

angelic upstart

Lionel touched on the complexity of the new state pension. I'm currently gonna get about £75 a week - or the equivalent of the dole. This was due to being stupid and (in my opinion) being missold and contracting out of SERPS when I was 18 - the chap said everyone does it and being young and naive I believed him.

I do have a Company pension so I'm hopeful I won't yet be eating from bins - but I do fear for those that are putting into auto enrolment thinking they're okay when they're likely to get a few quid annually which will no doubt then be spent on paying off the mortgage....

angelic upstart

Many agree with Janis Joplin, I guess.... "I'd rather have 10 years of super-hyper-most than live to be 70 sitting in some goddam chair watching TV" :D
That's all well and good, but we all have a minimum income required to live, and we're fairly likely to live into old age. I don't think £700 a month is likely to cover it for most.

elginCity

Like the endowment plan 8% growth 'projection' charts back in the day. 25 years to pay off your mortgage and receive a tidy lump sum of £40k, just sign here. No ****.

iscalad

Like the endowment plan 8% growth 'projection' charts back in the day. 25 years to pay off your mortgage and receive a tidy lump sum of £40k, just sign here. No ****.
I signed up to one like that. Had to find £20k to pay off my mortgage, Barstewards.

Alistair20000

This was due to being stupid and (in my opinion) being missold and contracting out of SERPS when I was 18 - the chap said everyone does it and being young and naive I believed him.
As you are only 25 now, shirley you have plenty of years left to catch up AU ? :D

angelic upstart

Yes, I do have age on my side but and an unhealthy desire to retire before 67 - currently hoping for 65 :D