• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pensions

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I knew the answer was going to be "yes, but..."

Believe me, the small pot is going to be so small as to not tittilate the taxman in the slightest. Let's say it's 6 grand, can I just spunk it on a weekend in Bangkok without affecting my 'proper' pension pot?
There’s always a “but” or a “possibly” - it’s arse covering as I don’t know what type of pensions you have, your circumstances, your health, your expectations and so on.

In general terms, and whilst I don’t want to get drawn into a conversation about spunking anything in Bangkok, the answer is yes, you can have your dirty weekend away by doing this and without directly affecting your proper pension (see below). Based on current roolz you could take your money out as a one-off lump sum, 25% of it tax-free and the other 75% potentially taxed depending on what other taxable income you have – although this particular pension pot is small it could, when added to other taxable income, push you up into the next tax bracket, for example.

However, one implication of doing this, which is known as taking an uncrystalised funds pension lump sum (catchy, eh?), that may affect your proper pension is that you will trigger the money purchase annual allowance which will mean that if you are paying into a pension either now or in the future the total annual contributions allowed (without incurring a tax charge) will be limited. From April, this limit is £4,000 p.a.

There are lots of other considerations as to whether it's the right thing to do but that's the simplest factual summary I can manage. It might not, therefore, be appropriate to you and your circumstances. Chuck Brinty a few hundred quid though and he'll do a full fact find for you (Brinty - 25% payaway for the referral please).

Who said pensions were boring?

This post should not be construed as financial advice, is based on the understanding of current legislation blah, blah, blah.

Swanaldo

Thank you, LOG. I owe you a pint.

Brinty IFA

Thank you, LOG. I owe you a pint.
Is this the demise of the NC? Log explaining pensions to Swanny...

(I'm just deflecting the fact that I got excited when I saw a thread labelled 'Pensions'....)

Anyway, great summary from out Exeweb Pension expert. If you wanted to contribute over £4k a year into a pension Swanny, you can just take the 25% tax free lump sum from the 'other' pension and not the other 75%, I believe?

Could just mean a weekend in Burnham rather than Bankok??

Swanaldo

Is this the demise of the NC?
Au contraire, Ro-land. It's indicitive of the spirit of camaraderie that is the very bedrock of our brotherhood.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
thank you, log. I owe you a pint of chips.
FIFY

Nctid

Last edited:

STURTZ

I wanted to be a financial consultant, used to play accountancy snap as a child, knew exactly how many bricks there were in my house, sent my piggy bank to Switzerland to avoid paying tax, loved the cartoons in the financial times.

All fell apart though and I ended up with a career of travelling the world letting off bloody fireworks!

Life's a person.

iscalad

I wanted to be a financial consultant, used to play accountancy snap as a child, knew exactly how many bricks there were in my house, sent my piggy bank to Switzerland to avoid paying tax, loved the cartoons in the financial times.

All fell apart though and I ended up with a career of travelling the world letting off bloody fireworks!

Life's a person.
Sounds a cracker of a job.

fred binneys head

His career rocketed forward but then fizzled out.

Spoonz Red E

He can't retire until after he's lit the blue touchpaper

Grecian2K

Good career choice.

Wherelse do you get paid day rate and nitrate?