• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United (H) - Season Finale Build Up

budegrecian

So, will Yanic be fit to face his former team and score?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Paint the Park Red", is the call from the club.
The entire pitch??:eek:

Memphis09

Won’t have time as we will still be outside lol

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
In an interesting sort of way, I think this is actually quite an important game for us and I hope that GC and the squad are looking at it the same way. Of course, no real pressure on the result and certainly unlikely to warrant much criticism if we lose, but Oxford have been a good side over the course of this season and I think now we seem to have hit our stride again, it could be a really useful barometer to show exactly where we are at presently, and the level we would need to be at if we want to challenge for the play-offs next season. I know it's not an exact indicator as no two seasons are the same and the level towards the top of League One next year may increase or it may drop slightly, but I certainly think it can be a marker.

They've got something to play for, so if we treat it right, could be two teams properly going at it and seeing who comes out on top.

I'm going hopeful and saying the boys come out 3-2 winners in the final few minutes, back by a sun drenched (extra hopeful), rip-roaring SJP.
To a degree I would agree but we will be several plyers short of what I would argue is a full strength team so can you really compare without Woods, Cox, a fully fit Cole and/Sweenz, Harper/Aitchison, Demi or Admiral available - OK the last one was for comedic value but you get my point :love:

To a degree I would agree but we will be several plyers short of what I would argue is a full strength team so can you really compare without Woods, Cox, a fully fit Cole and/Sweenz, Harper/Aitchison, Demi or Admiral available - OK the last one was for comedic value but you get my point :love:
That's a fair argument, but I would say yes we can, mainly because so much emphasis from GC has been placed on the system, style of play and not deviating from that, that the level of performance and how that matches up against a good side with something to play for will still provide a good level of information as to how that then fares.

Fully take your point about the players missing and do think that their absence can and should be included in assessments of the game and performance post-match as mitigating factors, however also provides an opportunity for players like Richards, Borges, Fitzwater to again really demonstrate that they can mix it at this level and (this is in no way demeaning their performances in the last few games) can be at the level against one of the better sides in the division rather than a poor Port Vale side who have gone down with a little bit of a whimper and a Northampton side who are probably already 'on the beach'.

GC has shown that he won't stand on sentiment with Academy graduates but also, if they are at the level he deems necessary, they'll play and they will improve under him, so this is a key fixture for them to puff their chests out and force themselves into the squad for next season, rather than needing a loan move to continue their development (of course, if that is the case, absolutely no shame in that and as has been proved with messieurs Key, Watkins, Diabate etc.)

Added to that, if they do show they are ready, that hopefully allows more of the available budget for next season to be concentrated on a lesser total number of players, which would hopefully correlate to fewer, but higher quality additions - further 'developing' the squad/Club.

StroudGrecian

denzel

Bit cocky given how hopeless they were against Stevenage. Think we will.edge this.

crocks

They were very confident in the play off semi final leg at the Kassam, with travel arrangements for Wembley being plastered on the walls. That didnt turn out too well for them!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Can't see that it has been mentioned (apologies if it has), but this match is available on iFollow in the UK for those who can't be there.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am looking forward to Saturday, nothing to play for other than 3 points, no official pressure on us at all. Will be good to see Oxford go through the mill for a playoff place, hopefully it will be a good and interesting match.