• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
.....unless he gets injured of course.
You can't run a club on the basis that a player might get injured. Following that logic they should sell all their players now before they get injured.

muppetdodger

You can't run a club on the basis that a player might get injured. Following that logic they should sell all their players now before they get injured.
I recognise that fact, my post was not aimed at Brentford but was really giving us Exeter fans a reminder that if he was unfortunate and got injured this massive paycheck we are all expecting will not necessarily materialise. So we can't rely on this to fund our future. There was a great feature in SSD on Saturday about players who had massive potential which in many cases never came to fruition because of injury. Good article that was.

IndoMike

I recognise that fact, my post was not aimed at Brentford but was really giving us Exeter fans a reminder that if he was unfortunate and got injured this massive paycheck we are all expecting will not necessarily materialise. So we can't rely on this to fund our future. There was a great feature in SSD on Saturday about players who had massive potential which in many cases never came to fruition because of injury. Good article that was.
You're right in that we can't count any chickens yet.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're right in that we can't count any chickens yet.
True, but what is great is that we have so many players with possible sell-on clauses. Even if Watkins was unlucky enough to get injured and we missed out on a few million in the short-term, there must be a very good chance that we'll get some income from one of the other players.

IndoMike

True, but what is great is that we have so many players with possible sell-on clauses. Even if Watkins was unlucky enough to get injured and we missed out on a few million in the short-term, there must be a very good chance that we'll get some income from one of the other players.
The other ones we think being Storey, right?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which ones? Matt Grimes a flat fee apparently, JMT - no, Hiram -n0, Pym - no, Nichols- no has moved on from original deal, Coppinger - don't think so, doubt there will be anything from Stockley as despite his current injury he isn't setting Preston alight, which leaves Storey where it has gone quiet and as a defender will never be as highly valued as a goal scoring striker, and Ampadu which we are being fed piecemeal as Chelsea 'nurture' the talent and will be several years before he is sold.

Of course we have our current crop of which Jack Sparkes is the standout, but again he will be sold with sell on clauses and we will be living in hope, Randell we have to share 50% with Watford should we sell him, Ben Chrisene will be an Ampadu moment, Archie we have yet to see in his best position and therefore neither have any scouts but like Sparkes will be sold with sell ons and hope and then Seymour who is probably like Watkins at this stage of his career a couple of years away from being valuable.

So yes there are some sell ons out there but not to the anticpated value of Watkins

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which ones? Matt Grimes a flat fee apparently, JMT - no, Hiram -n0, Pym - no, Nichols- no has moved on from original deal, Coppinger - don't think so, doubt there will be anything from Stockley as despite his current injury he isn't setting Preston alight, which leaves Storey where it has gone quiet and as a defender will never be as highly valued as a goal scoring striker, and Ampadu which we are being fed piecemeal as Chelsea 'nurture' the talent and will be several years before he is sold.

Of course we have our current crop of which Jack Sparkes is the standout, but again he will be sold with sell on clauses and we will be living in hope, Randell we have to share 50% with Watford should we sell him, Ben Chrisene will be an Ampadu moment, Archie we have yet to see in his best position and therefore neither have any scouts but like Sparkes will be sold with sell ons and hope and then Seymour who is probably like Watkins at this stage of his career a couple of years away from being valuable.

So yes there are some sell ons out there but not to the anticpated value of Watkins
The only other one is Jay Stansfield. I agree that Watkins being sold for 20 plus million will be like winning the jackpot but my point was just a reminder that the club have worked hard to get in a position where we have several possible sources of future income, even if they are not likely to be as lucrative as Watkins potentially could be.

magiccity1

The only other one is Jay Stansfield. I agree that Watkins being sold for 20 plus million will be like winning the jackpot but my point was just a reminder that the club have worked hard to get in a position where we have several possible sources of future income, even if they are not likely to be as lucrative as Watkins potentially could be.
If Wadkins carries on scoring goals and being at the top of the Championship goal scoring charts come January I would not be surprised if an offer of £20 million came in for him!

IndoMike

The good thing about Ollie Watkins is that he can now play as striker (seemingly), 2nd striker, winger or I suggest even attacking midfielder. Maupay seems to be just a striker. Maybe a Bee can correct me on that if necessary.

tonykellowfan

Maupay leaving was the best thing that could have happened to Watkins.