• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would say you've definitely got a decent sell on clause of probably around 20%, maybe more of the resell value and may even have performance bonuses built in as well.

Why? Because our owner has integrity and honesty and whilst a businessman first and foremost and will drive a hard bargain is also a moral person as well. I suspect also, the fact we got the player for a good price was partly because a decent sell-on clause will be built in to his contract. Matthew Benham our owner is very astute and would much rather pay a lower initial price for a very talented youngster and negotiate a decent sell-on for you.
Your chairman negotiated the sell on for us did he? That's very kind of him.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Crikey. Even better when you see the full highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYNQlNJ6Ve4

His goal starts even earlier when he controls a poor kick out from his own keeper then plays a couple of neat passes before the 65 yard run.

And what about the first goal? Ollie involved by his own penalty box,as they win the ball back. Two neat tight one-twos to get some room,accelerates past three opponents when running 50+ yards with the ball before laying it off to the bloke who scores (and Ollie was ready to tap in from the six yard box if the keeper had parried it) Fantastic!

(and yes,so reminiscent of the Newport hat trick where he was involved deep in City's half for all three goals before covering 70-80 yards to score in the opponents box)
Missed a couple of sitters though.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Missed a couple of sitters though.
Yeah he's crap... Better send him back to Devon. [A]

Last edited:

BerksBee

I'm hearing mutterings on the GPG that a Prem side have approached his agent with a view to a January move. So you might be getting your sell on money a lot sooner than you expected!

May be true, may be nothing, who knows.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm hearing mutterings on the GPG that a Prem side have approached his agent with a view to a January move. So you might be getting your sell on money a lot sooner than you expected!

Would not be too surprised but mixed feelings because I presume once he moves on from you that our financial link is ended. So would hope he stays longer and that his value continues to increase and likewise our cut of any associated transfer monies.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
It would likely be the last big payday we could get, but I believe that as an academy product we get a small percentage of every future transfer deal, I think around 2.5% so if he went for say 15m and then later on went to a top six club for a bigger fee it could net us a further decent sum.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would likely be the last big payday we could get, but I believe that as an academy product we get a small percentage of every future transfer deal, I think around 2.5% so if he went for say 15m and then later on went to a top six club for a bigger fee it could net us a further decent sum.
......Thanks for that Richard.

andrew p long

I read that too,but think it is entirely unreliable. First it is from someone who is 'a Brentford supporter living near Exeter who knows someone connected to the club who said'. Which is a bulletin board version of 'a bloke down the pub told me'.

Secondly the story was that the (unidentified) Prem club would be offering £5m for a move in January. Brentford would be mad (which they aren't ) to take £5m in January. There's a lot more development in Ollie playing in the Championship beyond January. If he continues to progress at a similar rate he'll be worth a damn sight more than £5m. Ollie is under contract until 2021 (with an option to extend to 2022). He also won't be agitating for a move. He too knows that his best chance of making it to the very top is proving himself by playing and succeeding in the Championship; by contrast a move now at £5m would probably mean he'd end up stuck in the reserves at most serious Prem teams and his career stagnate

It is getting difficult to remember that at the start of last year Ollie had barely kicked a ball in League football; his first goal in League two didn't come until March last year. He's come a long way in a short time..

LOG

I read that too,but think it is entirely unreliable. First it is from someone who is 'a Brentford supporter living near Exeter who knows someone connected to the club who said'. Which is a bulletin board version of 'a bloke down the pub told me'.
This isn't any old bloke down the pub, this is a bloke down the pub who owns a dog.

Who, at the club, owns a dog? Anyone know? I can't see anything on the official website.

Colesman Ballz

First it is from someone who is 'a Brentford supporter living near Exeter who knows someone connected to the club who said'..
I don't quite understand "your workings" here Andrew. I would suspect that in all likelihood, someone with the user name "BerksBee", does not live anywhere near Exeter. ;)

However I do whole heartedly agree with your second and third paragraphs.