• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old Grandstand

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
in my view they would be crazy to seek a JR at this point, and it will definitely cost them, and it is highly unlikely they would be successful now both the planning Authority has given it a green light and the Secretary of State believes it doesn't warrant a call in. It would delay things though, and maybe they think the overall financials in the deal may not work if there is a delay, and therefore maybe they think the wasted funds on an unsuccessful JR would be worth it if it stops the development due to the parties deciding the delay affects the viability and they all park it. If they are indeed thinking that then I consider it folly

Pete Martin (CTID)

This is the letter that has been sent.....http://www.exeterstjamesforum.org/userfiles/Paul%E2%80%99s%20PDFs/PAPletterECCpdfversion.pdf

I did find this particular statement particularly questionable.....

In an additional note to the Planning Committee of 8th February 2016 it is stated:

“Before taking a decision on the application, the Committee must ask itself therefore if this application will secure the continued vitality and viability of ECFC and that the scheme has taken account of the need to improve the balance of the community”

This further misled the Planning Committee as the Officer(s) preparing that report should have known that the viability of the Club would not be affected by the deferment or rejection of the application (see below). There was no evidence that the vitality of the Club would be affected and it fails to state that the Neighbourhood Plan has the weight of law.

denzel

in my view they would be crazy to seek a JR at this point, and it will definitely cost them, and it is highly unlikely they would be successful now both the planning Authority has given it a green light and the Secretary of State believes it doesn't warrant a call in. It would delay things though, and maybe they think the overall financials in the deal may not work if there is a delay, and therefore maybe they think the wasted funds on an unsuccessful JR would be worth it if it stops the development due to the parties deciding the delay affects the viability and they all park it. If they are indeed thinking that then I consider it folly
Well they say they have taken legal and professional advice. I wonder if it's no win no fee...

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I hope they are proud of themselves. (swear)

Grecian2K

The bit about if there was another "Liverpool" in the foreseeable future it would HAVE to be moved to a neutral ground shows what a bunch of blinkered NIMBYs the organisers are?

Instead of tediously quoting "Vagina vs Crotchdale" as a precedent might they also have just checked FA Cup Rules?

Pete Martin (CTID)

The really concerning element in all of this is that any significant delay could quite easily scupper the scheme completely because, even if the go ahead is finally given, it may be too late and the developer may well have walked away from it. It's quite obvious what game the Forum are playing here (and it ain't football)

Avening Posse

Well they say they have taken legal and professional advice. I wonder if it's no win no fee...
i seriously doubt it, but stranger things have happened, I have just skim read the letter Pete put up, seems to start reasonably well but moves into very shaky ground a bit later ?, JR's don't take as long as they used to either, in my view it's not unexpected to see the threat of one and no doubt the Council had it on their radar to expect the possibility, as would the club and Yelverton, the stronger ground thus far is with the party who has a planning consent and who has seen a call in rejected, time to hold nerve !!

grecian109

Pete, given the time effort and process the club invested in the process, website, committees etc the appeal, Secretary of State palava etc etc we've jumped through enough hoops that to challenge the process we followed from a legal perspective will be both timely and extremely costly to challenge?

Grecian2K

The really concerning element in all of this is that any significant delay could quite easily scupper the scheme completely because, even if the go ahead is finally given, it may be too late and the developer may well have walked away from it. It's quite obvious what game the Forum are playing here (and it ain't football)
Ah well, when they've finally achieved their dream and banished our bankrupted club to Flowerpot Fields I'm sure the popping of cheap Prosseco corks in celebration will be heard far and wide across that corner of our City.

(Just wondered if they've considered what even more hideous use avaricious developers might be able to plonk on the additional footprint allowed by our vacanct SJP? )

Colesman Ballz

Just wondered if there is any scenario where we could sue the butts off the StJF for damages, when this is all over ? Any one with the legal knowledge out there ?