• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Official Stanno apology thread!

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
No apologies from me - Stans' record does nothing to convince me I was wrong.
So you still think he's the worst City striker ever? :-O

Antony Moxey

Mate, two goals hardly makes him a Kellow or a Dazza does it?

Why not trawl through the threads and find where I've said enough times that I want our players to be successful and that unlike some, I don't have a predetermined dislike of anyone regardless of how well they do or not?

Being smug isn't a particularly attractive trait.......

:cool:

LammieLammieLammie

I am not being smug! You should know me better than that!

I was honestly surprised to see you post on here that you havn't changed your mind at all about Adam, and what he brings to the team (even, or especially,) when he isn;t scoring.

I just fail to see how anyone can have such a low opinion of him, particularly when we have had some of the crap up top over the years.

Of course he's not a Dazza, or a Kells, or a Jepson or a Nevs or plenty of others, but the one thing that surprises me about you view of him is how bad you think he is.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

As you said on similar lines to me the other night mate, if Stanno scored 40 goals for the next two or three seasons he wouldn't convince Moxey.

Antony Moxey

My views are based on his record - he's not a prolific scorer, and never has been since he's been here. He runs a lot, granted, but so what? For the most part, in my opinion, he does nothing with it, including bringing team mates into the game. You say he's the best crosser at the club, I have to say I've seen precious little evidence of that. Were he to set up twenty odd goals a season I'd be more than happy with his contribution of about half a dozen, but he doesn't, so I'm not.

But I'm happy he's got a couple today, and I hope it boosts his confidence such that he repeats it many times more this season. I don't dislike him at all, I simply don't think he's very good that's all. I don't dispute that he tries hard either, but then again so does Bertie yet he's almost universally panned on here.

I agree we've had some awful strikers up front over the years, but whether we've kept faith with them whilst they consistently failed to deliver is another thing altogether.

And finally for this post (;)), did you really expect me to change my mind after one game? As I've said already, well done to him and I genuinely am pleased for him, but I'm not changing my opinion just yet. By the same token should Jones shank a spinner off his shin and into his own net next Saturday I won't all of a sudden declare him the worst keeper ever and banish him to the Turks.

Antony Moxey

As you said on similar lines to me the other night mate, if Stanno scored 40 goals for the next two or three seasons he wouldn't convince Moxey.
Oh for christ's sake - try reading posts THEN replying, not the other way round (that's assuming you can read).

You really can be such an idiot at times Harris.

LammieLammieLammie

Ant, I guess that its the workrate that I value and appreciate so much from him. He closes down superbly, and he knows exactly where to defend from when he's not got the ball.

Not all strikers are judged on the scoring record, I can think of plenty of really underrated strikers who were "players players" without getting plaudits from the terraces. There are so many strikers who contribute nothing when they are not scoring, but I think we look so much more balanced as a team we he's on the pitch..

exesaddler

This thread wasn't intended to announce Stanno as a national hero..just an opportunity to those who claimed he was 'less than useless'...(you know who you are) and that 'he would'nt score if he played for the next 10 games', to redeem themselves!

It does seem to have touched a nerve with a few though!

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would like to put this on record i never doubted stanno
Me too, i had him down for one goal on my post on the score prediction thread. Nice one stano[y]

Antony Moxey

Ant, I guess that its the workrate that I value and appreciate so much from him.

Not all strikers are judged on the scoring record, I can think of plenty of really underrated strikers who were "players players" without getting plaudits from the terraces.
Wouldn't disagree with either of those two statements, but as I said I just don't see an end product (from either him or his strike partner) regularly enough. Of course someone will trot out the 'if he was that good he wouldn't be playing for us' line, which to a fashion is true, but I want and expect more from him, and more consistently too.

I don't think I'm asking for too much.