• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Official SIEGE Army ultras thread

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever happens, can I make an impassioned plea that the "U" word is avoided? "Siege Army" was a great name at the time but was of its day and probably less resonant now, but I personally feel the use of Ultras is a) overused and b) has a lot of political connotations (both extreme left and extreme right) whereas I firmly believe politics and Football shouldn't mix.

Terryhall

Speaking from the continent, Ultras generally carries connotations of violence and hooliganism, rather than a tribal atmosphere. For example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2a1QfR2Ln4

I like the concept but the name needs some careful thought.

alt_mindset

Whatever happens, can I make an impassioned plea that the "U" word is avoided? "Siege Army" was a great name at the time but was of its day and probably less resonant now, but I personally feel the use of Ultras is a) overused and b) has a lot of political connotations (both extreme left and extreme right) whereas I firmly believe politics and Football shouldn't mix.
We're referring to what was 'Siege Army' as 'ECFC ultras' as we're still deciding on whether or not to change the name.

As far as politics is concerned, we're not aligning ourselves with any movement. Exeter is a diverse city, in terms of politics. I also know that a few of Exeter's "top boys" have connections with EDL and UKIP, I myself am a "Lefty", and some of the people that stand by Pole 5 couldn't give less of a **** in terms of politics, and so no one should force it upon them.

The political connotations seen with ultras tend to be from Italy (SS Lazio - Far-right, and Livorno - Left-wing etc.).

The political ultras are popping up in English football, but, like I said, we're not going to copy that.

alt_mindset

Speaking from the continent, Ultras generally carries connotations of violence and hooliganism, rather than a tribal atmosphere. For example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2a1QfR2Ln4

I like the concept but the name needs some careful thought.
We're not looking to create a new Sly Crew, just an atmosphere to rally the lads onto promotion.

Like This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysWPoGSV0s

MagzECFC

Now now Andy they make valid points. If anyone is interested in improving the atmosphere and generally wants to help out drop me a PM. :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't let the old biddies* tell you what to do! Unless of course you want them to help fund this.

* Any one over age of 23.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think something will happen, yes. Probably a little less profile this time round, focus on doing the job in the ground where it matters and let the noise do the talking.

Politics is irrelevant and just argument baiting.

MagzECFC

Don't let the old biddies* tell you what to do! Unless of course you want them to help fund this.

* Any one over age of 23.
Sadly Hants, I now fall into this bracket (facepalm).

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Any effort is worthwhile imo. Go for it, you can't make it any worse.

Silver fox

Any effort is worthwhile imo. Go for it, you can't make it any worse.
Ditto what Richard said (y)