• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of Parky’s guests once watched a game at SJP from the Bank. :)
Freddie Starr?

david61

George Best or, otherwise, Ian Botham?!
was thinking George Best.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad. Had some great interviews in the 70s.
An entertaining sports writer, too. I remember him referring to a team Barnsley faced as having only 47 teeth between the 11 players.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
An entertaining sports writer, too. I remember him referring to a team Barnsley faced as having only 47 teeth between the 11 players.
Indeed, he was. Started his career as a print journalist, and continued to write occasional pieces after he moved into TV.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
*POSTED IN ERROR*

david61

Skinner Normanton was a Barnsley legend !

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
"He played at a time when the game drank deep from its tap roots and although there were many more skilful and talented than he there was no one who better represented what you were up against if you took on a collier from Barnsley. I was thinking that they ought to name the new stand at Barnsley after him. The Skinner Normanton stand would be a constant reminder that no matter how much we merchandise the modern game we must always remember what it is we are really selling. Nowadays they talk of image. There was a time, when Skinner was a lad, when it had a soul.".

- Parky

mustangspeed2006

Michael Parkinson interviewed hundreds of people but how many of them played football at SJP.

(I can think of one)
David Beckham when he was on loan at Preston in 1995?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
David Beckham when he was on loan at Preston in 1995?
George Best

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Obit from the Manchester Guardian