• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Watford 4th Round League Cup game was played 8/11/78..In front of 14,740..Not bad for two 3rd Division clubs at the time..

From what I recall of the game,Jimmy Giles gave away a penalty in the 1st minute & Ross Jenkins scoring the 2nd around the hour mark..Elton John was not at the game,he was in Paris & had a open telephone line to SJP so he could be kept up to speed on the match..

We beat 1st Division Bolton in the 3rd round on 4/10/78 in front of 9,151....

Last edited:
Guitarist Tommy Allsup , who nearly 58 years ago famously lost a coin toss for a seat on the plane to Ritchie Valens . The plane crashed killing not only Valens but also Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper , and has become known by those of us of a certain age as " the day the music died " . This was later immortalised in Don McLean's song American Pie .

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lord Snowden, former royal photographer dies aged 86.

iscalad

Banksy

Non-stop yes , but I guess it seems that way more now because we're ( well, some of us anyway ) getting older . The people who've lived with us on this speck of dirt for years are keeling over and we've just begun to notice it more because we're in the firing line
Here to be philosophical if I can even spell the word.

iscalad

Non-stop yes , but I guess it seems that way more now because we're ( well, some of us anyway ) getting older . The people who've lived with us on this speck of dirt for years are keeling over and we've just begun to notice it more because we're in the firing line
Here to be philosophical if I can even spell the word.
True enough, getting into my dotage and seeing all the names from my past, passing away, is quite sobering.

Alistair20000

The Grim Reaper does seem to be putting in quite a shift. :(

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Grim Reaper does seem to be putting in quite a shift. :(
Definitely not affiliated to Aslef or Unite then.

StroudGrecian

Definitely not affiliated to Aslef or Unite then.
I doubt God is trying to replace the Grim One with an automatic door.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt God is trying to replace the Grim One with an automatic door.
God certainly seems to be in two minds regarding the opening and closing of doors, doesn't he?

What was he thinking of when the Victoria done away with guards in the year 2000, as did central, Jubilee and Northern lines in 2013.