• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Tim Long

I've just told the radio to fook off when they announced this.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
He was only on the SS Cricket Vodcast last week with Nass and Athers talking about the upcoming auction for The Hundred and going through his plans for them along with wider cricket talk. An absolute legend of cricket and a great broadcaster. I really don't know what else to say, it's such a shock.

DB9

Absolute shock about Shane Warne, 52 is no age. A total legend in the cricket world and his bowling was, You had to see it to believe it. RIP

Alistair20000

Very sad news indeed.

A great spin bowler, maybe the best ever, and cricketer generally who became a brilliant and impartial commentator. A perceptive reader of the game.

I had the good fortune to watch him when he played for and captained Hampshire. An inspirational captain who would set amazing attacking fields, often with good results.

An inspiration to younger players such as Chris Tremlett.

More than anything, I admired the way he dealt with the youngsters in the crowd at the end of a game. Would spend endless time signing autograph books and bats and in photo shoots.

His tribute to Rod Marsh was typically fitting and very poignant coming just a few hours before his own death.

RIP Warney. You will live on in The Shane Warne stand at the Ageas Bowl

Last edited:

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unbelivable News I am in shock one of crickets greats - so sad - RIP Warney

sign of the chimes

Very sad news indeed.

A great spin bowler, maybe the best ever, and cricketer generally who became a brilliant and impartial commentator. A perceptive reader of the game.

I had the good fortune to watch him when he played for and captained Hampshire. An inspirational captain who would set amazing attacking fields, often with good results.

An inspiration to younger players such as Chris Tremlett.

More than anything, I admired the way he dealt with the youngsters in the crowd at the end of a game. Would spend endless time signing autograph books and bats and in photo shoots.

His tribute to Rod Marsh was typically fitting and very poignant coming just a few hours before his own death.

RIP Warney. You will live on in The Shane Warne stand at the Ageas Bowl
Well said Alistair. It was a privilege to watch him, both for Hants and (grudgingly) terrorising English and other international batsmen for Australia. A genuine sporting great - taken far too young. RIP.

DB9

I've just watched his first ball in his first (I Think) test against Mike Gatting in 1993, You will never see such a brilliant delivery, The spin on it. No wonder they called it "The Ball Of The Century" Again, RIP

iscalad

I've just watched his first ball in his first (I Think) test against Mike Gatting in 1993, You will never see such a brilliant delivery, The spin on it. No wonder they called it "The Ball Of The Century" Again, RIP
Indeed. I made sure I watched it again. The bewilderment on Gatting's face is priceless.

sign of the chimes

I think it was his first ball against England. He debuted in Australia against India and, I think took just a solitary wicket in that match. I remember watching that ball against Gatting on television - it's even had a whole song written about it from the perspective of the batsman.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I'm lucky enough to work in and around the cricket industry, and know well some gentlemen that hand made Warne's bats in the mid/late 90s.

In a sport where players are very VERY fussy, the the point of being completely anal, Shane was (by all accounts) one of the nicest and easiest to deal with.

He was, and still is, the spin Goat. RIP Warney.